About arrays in shaders

Hi !
Is there a special way of declaring a “global” array in a shader ?
My shader fails to load ingame with builds > 3.7.1248 saying the key is already existing (cf https://github.com/MonoGame/MonoGame/issues/6184)
As no one has bumped on this issue, I’m just wondering what’s wrong since 3.7.1248+

When I do

#if OPENGL
	#define SV_POSITION POSITION
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_3_0
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_3_0
#else
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_5_0
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_5_0
#endif

//21 values
//Breaklines are here for purpose, but removing them gives the same result: exception
float weights[] = { 0.051f, 0.1f, 0.15f, 0.28f, 0.5f,
0.7f, 0.8f, 0.9f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 
1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.9f, 0.8f, 
0.7f, 0.5f, 0.28f, 0.15f, 0.1f,
0.051f }; //uniform, or const changes nothing

Even a simple

uniform float weights[KERNEL_SIZE];
uniform float2 offsets[KERNEL_SIZE];

gives this Exception… Putting static instead of uniform allows to load the effect, but effectparameters are null and when setting value, the game throws a nullexception !

I was wondering if it is a true bug of MG, or if I missed something in an update, changing the way of declaring an array ?
Thanks for any clue on this.

Just saw your issue on github.
Sorry for the delay. Will look into it.

Committed a PR

Great! I hope it will be merged soon, thanks

It’s been merged already. Could you try it in the newest develop build?
Thx

I’m building content, I’ll be able to test it in a few minutes :wink:

EDIT: It works :slight_smile:

:dancer: YAY! :confetti_ball:
Then I can begin to fix this correctly tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Alkher!
You did a really nice job searching for the bug, which was no easy find. Congrats.
Just saying.

Thanks :wink: I like to get to the bottom of things when I don’t understand something or have a problem. I’m not the kind of “it just does not work” :stuck_out_tongue:
When I have time I’ll continue to debug and give feedback about why there are null (if I find something interesting), or test your PRs if any

Nice. My family is sick now… All of them… So I’ll fall asleep in a few minutes (19:15 here in Austria). No programming today :cry:

Sorry to hear that. I hope you’ll all recover soon.
I’ve not been able to investigate a lot, I lost my internet connection due to gust :frowning:
I’ll continue in a few hours as it is back now.