All my work is lost. What can I do now?

You’re still not backing up, so you do need the lecture… :wink:

EDIT

Just buy a 64GB USB-C stick and copy to that regularly…

I had the same problem once…

though since I use Git I could simply reclone the project and barely lost anything

was also a bit shocked, I m new to monogame and experimented with the content pipeline, accidently added an already existing file from another folder to the content pipeline…
it made a reference to that other folder, I deleted it and the whole project was gone^^
(didnt see that “exclude” was also an option and thought delete would do the same^^)

Me… I don’t need any source control : - D any significant changes I made, I right click the main folder [send to] [Compressed (zipped folder] add date to the zip file… the cool thing about Visual Studio is you can zip the main folder even while your working on the project.

Ahhh… there’s my backup

That isn’t nearly as nice as version control though. With VCS you can see what changes you’ve made, revert particular changes, collaborate with others, branch, easy cloud backup…

2 Likes

Nyaha exactly Sir Jjagg… but No worries… it’s just my poormans solo dev source control LOL … I just want to express it’s a simple thing to backup the work through zipping the working folder :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Yep this is precisely what I did… finally almost done redoing several days worth of work :joy:

Gitlab still does private repos if “I have no dollars and I don’t want to share” matters.

It was originally supposed to be an early adopter only feature but it seems to still be active.

Yea, I think Bitbucket also has private as the free default state for your repository, only GitHub makes stuff public unless you pay (or request privat repositories as a student) ;D

I recommend using Gitlab for hosting - 10 gig LFS enabled private repositories, awesome web interface with all the features you need (kanban/issues etc).

To op - learn Git, learn it for good, and from now on start any project with creating a repository for it.
Also learn LFS its a git addition that tracks big assets (images, sounds) which changed git from “code optimized” to “gamedev optimized”.

1 Like

I just found a 5 years old bug. And I know the one to point the blame to. You don’t get that with a backup :joy:

1 Like