Animation with key frames

Is it possible to do animation with key frames in monogame, I could do it in the Dx9 sdk, but not sure if this now supports it. I’m re writing my code again since ms kill managed code. This mono game is pretty cool btw.

1 Like

This is a bit of a weird question. Do you mean if MonoGame offers some classes to help you with keyframe animations or if it’s possible to implement on top of MonoGame?

MonoGame doesn’t have much for animation out of the box, but you can implement pretty much anything on top of it. It just abstracts some of the low-level and platform-specific details.

There are a bunch of engines and extensions around for MonoGame and I think they most of them support key frame animations one way or another. So if you don’t want to implement it yourself have a look at some of those. E.g. MonoGame.Extended or Nez

Thats what i thought, not a problem as it can easily be overcome with plugins i guess. but personally, I don’t really like working with 3rd party dlls, they increase over heads slightly.
but i am in the process of creating a reader for xfiles,
The basic principal of the reader is it will create the hierarchy of the file then you read down the the hierarchy building each mesh. at present it only reads version 3.3 text files, but with a few tweaks i could have it reading all fairly soon.

Uhm, don’t worry about that :stuck_out_tongue:

MonoGame should be able to import .x files, there’s just no runtime. You can write your own or check out the discussion on the Skinned Sample and Better Skinned Sample: Tutorial: How to get XNA's SkinnedSample working with MonoGame - #66 by Milun
Source is included in the samples, so you can pop it right into your project if you want