Can't build successfully in Pipeline tool.

I’ve been trying to get into Monogame for a while now, but I have never been able to get the pipeline tool to work for any content. I can open it, and add files without problem, but when I try to build, it always says there was an unexpected failure. I’ve searched the forums and tried things that have worked for other people, but have been unsuccessful.

Steps I have tried.
-Getting Monogame from Nuget
-Getting Monogame from the Installer
-Getting Monogame from source
-Installing every Visual C++ redistributable I can find, since that seems to help other people who run into this issue.
-Replacing the Cppnet.dll file in my pipeline “Tools” folder with the version from the Monogame Git repo

PLEASE HELP

When I run it in debug mode and try to build one PNG, this is what I get for my console output:

‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe’. Module was built without symbols.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline.dll’. Module was built without symbols.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MonoGame.Framework.dll’. Module was built without symbols.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Serialization\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘Microsoft.GeneratedCode’.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll’. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option ‘Just My Code’ is enabled.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\CppNet.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘Microsoft.GeneratedCode’.
‘MGCB.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: MGCB.exe): Loaded ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\FreeImageNET.dll’. Module was built without symbols.
The program ‘[11164] MGCB.exe’ has exited with code 1 (0x1).

Just because I enjoy asking the stupid questions on here, but are you using Admin elevation mode?

My windows account is an admin, and I have tried running “pipeline.exe” as admin. Am I missing something?

Also, I added an mp3 to the build this morning and that worked. (Previously had done fonts and textures, so maybe its just texture based things that it cant process)

Which versions are you using? 3.6Release? 3.7Dev?

Currently 3.6; I’ll try 3.7 in the morning. Good idea

No luck.

Now we are getting somewhere, what is the image dimensions and can you view it in Explorer?

EDIT

Err, move the image to Documents…

Assuming you can import all kinds of other file types like Models, Audio and Fonts, but your current .png image wont load, try a different image, may be some strange with that one or the way your image editor software is saving it (although that would be unlikely). Try a .jpg image, try a png you downloaded. I tested it and my tool happily loaded 8K images(took ~30sec each) so unless your image is much larger it probably won’t be that.

1 Like