Changing model colour

Hi folks.

Is there any way to change the colour of the material stored in a converted fbx file?

I want to show damage to an model in some way, I don’t want life bars or to shrink the size of the model, so I thought of changing the colour, getting grey-er as life is diminished. I’ve seen this done before, and many many games have flash effects etc.

Do I need to store another material in the model and swap it somehow? Or do people swap to a different model with the colour adjustment as the default material?

I’m not talking about textures yet, I’m only working with basic Blender materials, is this better done with Textures? I haven’t done any work with textures as I want the game to have that old 3d look and feel. I could add flat textures if this is the answer.

Many thanks.

I think an example could explain more clearly what you want to achieve :slight_smile:

My vibe here was, he wants cell shading…?

Or perhaps more, Flat Shading?

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_images/_SHADING.GIF

Or perhaps Toon Shading or Plastic?

It would help if you gave examples, really.

Only joining in here in the hopes we spark a thread on styles of graphical shading and visual effects…

Regarding the topic, you may want to look into Damage Mapping or something along those lines…