Compile to Android from commandline without Xamarin

For my game engine, I am using OpenFL & Haxe, I am adding support for C# via Mono/Monogame & eventually hoping to add support for the platforms OpenFL is missing.

When it comes to Android, I couldn’t find any resources on how to compile a Monogame apk without Xamarin from the commandline. I currently use a simple command with csc for a Windows build:

csc /define:WINDOWS /nologo /win32manifest:Properties\Application.manifest /win32icon:Properties\Icon.ico /optimize /target:winexe /platform:anycpu /r:Libraries\MonoGame\Windows\MonoGame.Framework.dll /out:_Release\Application.exe /recurse:*.cs

From what I see Xamarin needs a paid license. Not sure if this still is true to be honest. A reason I am making my engine is because of the open source nature & I don’t want to lock myself in a recurring subscription. Is there any way to compile an apk without Xamarin, via Mono perhaps?

From what I see Xamarin needs a paid license. Not sure if this still is true to be honest.

Xamarin has been free and under the MS-PL since a few months after Microsoft bought them.

As far as I know there is no way to compile for Android/iOS without Xamarin. I’m not aware of any wrappers/minimal build-tools for their core either.

without Xamarin, via Mono perhaps?

Xamarin is Mono. When Mono was brought to Android/iOS it was spun off into a company around a commercial product. Once upon a time there were extremely early blobs of Mono-for-Android, it was just a tar-bomb back-then and pretty much unusable.

Yeah anything in VS can be done from the command line. I was at a meetup about .Net Core where the presenter was doing everything from both windows cmd prompt and also windows bash.

Xamarin has been free and under the MS-PL since a few months after Microsoft bought them.

This sounds promising, thanks!

Xamarin is Mono. When Mono was brought to Android/iOS it was spun off into a company around a commercial product. Once upon a time there were extremely early blobs of Mono-for-Android, it was just a tar-bomb back-then and pretty much unusable.

Ah I was unaware of this, good going

I was at a meetup about .Net Core where the presenter was doing everything from both windows cmd prompt and also windows bash

Is there any docs or videos about it? I am interested. I’ll get Xamarin and do my digging in any case C: