Content issue(?) deleted my whole desktop

(This happened with Pipeline Tool 3.6.0.1625)

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour, but it sure fooled me!
This is what happened:

1. For some easier access I decided to make a shortcut to the content file, and placed the shortcut on my desktop.

2. Then I wanted to replace a content item with a newer version of the file.

3. It defaulted to adding a link, instead of adding/replacing the file. I just pressed OK without seeing it.

4. Then it added a … folder and a Desktop folder, probably because of some working/current directory bug because I opened from shortcut?

5. With my super smart brain, I thought “Oh that’s just a virtual folder item, I can delete that”

6. Pipeline tool freezes, and I see my desktop slowly clear in the background

Here’s a reconstruction, without actually deleting the … folder because I don’t want to delete it all again

(Deleted comment contained same gif as above, if anyone is curious)

Yeah, this happened to me too. Luckily I had a fresh backup of all of my code or I would have lost everything…

Yea I was also lucky that I had my code somewhere else, so I lost ~10 lines of code maybe. Other files got lost though, but I can easily recreate them as they weren’t that much work.

This why we backup :smiley:

This issue is logged on GitHub. This really needs to be fixed.

Cannot see image in first post, but what exactly was deleted? and why? does this affect the default methods?

This bug was fixed in develop branch several weeks ago.

1 Like

My whole project was deleted today. Most people use v3.6. I think this problem should be written into the document now.

Has anyone considered using source control when developing their applications? It really can be a life-saver. get a GitHub account or use something like Mercurial for local source control…

:slight_smile:

The danger is it will delete any file system if you add the content as a link from some place else.
Not everything is controlled by source control usually. If you use git, the local .git folder may also be deleted.

Aside from the actual bugfix, shouldn’t the content manager delete to the recycling bin? Like in VS, if you delete a file you can pull it out of the recycling bin or even just open an explorer window and hit Ctrl+Z.

I also keep my image files in a separate project folder from which I add them to the content-pipeline folder. This way, if anything goes wrong, I always have the original files…

This PR has already been merged to fix the issue. Update to a develop version if possible to fix this behavior with the pipeline. The 3.7 release will also have this fix in.