[DesktopGL] Exception: Failed to create graphics device!

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with MonoGame 3.6.0.1625, I use the DesktopGL template for one of my game currently on sale on steam and I regularly receive bug reports like this one:

NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException: Failed to create graphics device!	
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager", line 54, col 0, in CreateDevice
	Void CreateDevice()
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager", line 0, col 0, in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice
	Void Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game", line 22, col 0, in DoInitialize
	Void DoInitialize()
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game", line 45, col 0, in Run
	Void Run(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameRunBehavior)
  File "Program.cs", line 463, col 21, in ‎​‪​​‍​‍‫‭‭‪​‫‭‎‬​‏‭​‌‍‪‌‮
	Int32 ‎​‪​​‍​‍‫‭‭‪​‫‭‎‬​‏‭​‌‍‪‌‮()
PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires OpenGL 3.0 compatible drivers, or either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object extensions.Try updating your graphics drivers.
  Module "OpenGL.GraphicsContext", line 57, col 0, in .ctor
	Void .ctor(OpenGL.IWindowInfo)
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice", line 37, col 0, in PlatformSetup
	Void PlatformSetup()
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice", line 51, col 0, in Setup
	Void Setup()
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice", line 306, col 0, in .ctor
	Void .ctor(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsAdapter, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsProfile, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.PresentationParameters)
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager", line 9, col 0, in CreateDevice
	Void CreateDevice(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceInformation)
  Module "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager", line 30, col 0, in CreateDevice
	Void CreateDevice()

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException: Failed to create graphics device! ---> System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires OpenGL 3.0 compatible drivers, or either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object extensions.Try updating your graphics drivers.
	   in OpenGL.GraphicsContext..ctor(IWindowInfo info)
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformSetup()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Setup()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor(GraphicsAdapter adapter, GraphicsProfile graphicsProfile, PresentationParameters presentationParameters)
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi)
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()
	   --- Fine della traccia dello stack dell'eccezione interna ---
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
	   in .() in Program.cs:line 463
	Inner Exception:
	System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires OpenGL 3.0 compatible drivers, or either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object extensions.Try updating your graphics drivers.
	   in OpenGL.GraphicsContext..ctor(IWindowInfo info)
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformSetup()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Setup()
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor(GraphicsAdapter adapter, GraphicsProfile graphicsProfile, PresentationParameters presentationParameters)
	   in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi)

the exception is thrown at the start of the Game.Run().

I have seen on the forum that the release 3.6 contained a bug if we use:
GraphicsDeviceManager.PreferMultiSampling = true;

I removed this line from my code but I continue to receive these error reports and the game is runing on a rather recent hardware, reinstalling the drivers and reboot does not solve the problem either.
the last report I have received if from a computer with a Radeon RX 460 Graphics with up to date driver so I guess the ARB_framebuffer_object and EXT_framebuffer_object should be ok.

What could be the source of this error?

Another issue of the same type has been repported to me with Intel Pentium G645 and it’s HD2000.

As you can see here, OpenGl 3.1 is supported by this chip.

Full details of OpenGL repport : http://opengl.gpuinfo.org/gl_generatereport.php?reportID=1859

Someone would have an idea why it does not work?

Try this Fix for Open GL on Intel HD Graphics 3000 - Windows 10

same problem, but after I changed to the windows directX template, it just works.
So maybe the opengl/intel problem.