✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

Always good to have new members here, hopefully have the time to develop more myself soon…

Should I start making time for my XNA to MonoGame projects or is nobody interested in more, useful MonoGame code/tutorials?

Writing seems to take a back seat now, novel writing might need to take a back seat for a while I guess…

Hmm…I also want to help grow this community, ideas are welcome…

So, it appears as, ANY MAC will do for VS2017, to just access the build tools on the Mac, looks like I will be getting a MacBook Air soon… cheapest, naturally… time wise, not flustered… but it does mean I can write those XNA dev tutorials soon…

So many projects, so little time… I took a little break from my ARPG prototype to write a tutorial, but am struggling with a text. Doesn’t help that rbwhitaker and riemer’s tutorials are far better already… X)

When I finish beginner’s tutorial, I’ll need to deal with the animations in game. Hoo boy. At least @nkast wrote some tools which will ease it a lot… (shoutout to your Aether :smiley: )

1 Like

A sad day indeed…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/microsoft-co-founder-paul-allen-dies-of-cancer-at-age-65/ar-BBOrayo?li=BBoPWjQ&item=personalization_enabled:false

@MrValentine

Time to watch American Psycho again.

This makes me feel ill to say but it’s finally here…

Thank Frick I didn’t buy the previous gen model a few months back… but then this also got upgraded…

So now I just need to decide my deal with the devil and how many kidneys I plan on parting with, perhaps six… >.<

:jack_o_lantern:

Interesting!

I think this is the follow-on video

Their interactive video page

For those of you wondering how it was done in the golden era:

C#8, some interesting new features…

EDIT

Also Visual Studio 2019 info in December…

Default implementations of interface members
Today, once you publish an interface it’s game over: you can’t add
members to it without breaking all the existing implementers of it.
In C# 8.0 we let you provide a body for an interface member. Thus, if
somebody doesn’t implement that member (perhaps because it wasn’t there
yet when they wrote the code), they will just get the default
implementation instead.

interface ILogger
{
    void Log(LogLevel level, string message);
    void Log(Exception ex) => Log(LogLevel.Error, ex.ToString()); // New overload
}

class ConsoleLogger : ILogger
{
    public void Log(LogLevel level, string message) { ... }
    // Log(Exception) gets default implementation
}

Correct me if im wrong …
Virtual interfaces ?
Isn’t this the equivalent of introducing multiple inheritance with abstract classes ?

What happens when two interfaces define the same default and its not overriden by the deriving class ?.

interface ILogger
{
}
interface ILoggerB
{
}

class ConsoleLogger : ILogger :  ILoggerB
{
    public void Log(LogLevel level, string message) { ... }
    // Log(Exception) gets default implementation
    // but which one ?
}

Granted not a great naming example but the question remains

Switch expressions

I like this because i use switch case from time to time. Actually i really like this one a lot.

yeild

I hardly ever use this because i think that changing the normal way method scope works in general leads to bugs and is hard to debug. When there is a problem in general it can add a huge amount of complexity to code and i cant even remember the last time i used it. That said it does look pretty neat.

Note.

Most of the C# 8.0 language features will run on any version of .NET. However, a few of them have platform dependencies.
Async streams, indexers and ranges all rely on new framework types
that will be part of .NET Standard 2.1.
.NET Core 3.0 as well as Xamarin, Unity and Mono will all implement
.NET Standard 2.1,
but
.NET Framework 4.8 will not.
This means that the types required to use these features won’t be available when you target
C# 8.0 to .NET Framework 4.8.

Yeah, this part bummed me a bit, but I will see what benefits .Net Std :wink: 2+ and Core 3+ bring and relearn that soon…

I am wondering if people are interested in seeing a development blog on this forum, at least until I get an actual blog up and running… custom made one; not one of those silly ones…
Any feedback is welcome… including things people would like to see… my intent is to showcase what can be done with MonoGame, not actual code…

So, as Microsoft has pulled a Microsoft on me as usual, I have focussed my studies to MonoGame now.

Anyone got new projects planned for this year?

In case anybody wanted to change their Avatar…

http://community.monogame.net/users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/preferences

Just place your username in the caps section, IN LOWER CASE

Sorry guys, having to walk away from this for a while, happy coding all.

Hope all is well and I hope to see you again around here.

2 Likes

Hi @throbax, thank you, will see…

Can I still post here?

YES!

So, I have just another 25 posts to catch up on [Of the 240 that were made since my hiatus began, Yes I read EVERYTHING!], should finish them in the next few hours, I was wondering if anybody wanted more YouTube videos on working with MonoGame and surrounding topics, such as Blender modelling and stuff…

1 Like

Do you really need to write something to every single post?