✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

I dont even know what that is.

I read this all over the place. Can you tell me in a parapgraph or so what it is?

Have you seen the show-case post I updated recently? Me and jjagg are working on
a tiled sidescrolling RPG game. (metroidvania-ish) You are welcome to chime in on that if you feel so inclined.

Link it here

Active Server Pages using a .NET framework to host a web application which can be a website or anything…

:slight_smile:
Will go look for that game unless you can link it here…

Yeah you found it!

Its already got multilayered parallax with scaling tilemaps…

So its possible to contribute only a tiny thing and then stop, without having to invest
in all the basic infrastructure of a whole game…

OH MY GOD, I have been thinking about that for a remake of “wheel of fortune” for amiga 500… Not 24 hours ago I was thinking about doing text to speech… wow…

Hehehehe

Hmm looks like roaming files may not be working, time to revisit my app code :frowning:

OK! lesson learned although, I have no idea where my files have been being stored until now lol

Hopefully I fixed the roaming folder issue… will upload Release 2 by tonight…

In case anybody was wondering, just ask me for a guide on using the roaming folder in UWP apps and I will write one after I get it working…

Release 2 submitted, time to drop this one for now and move onto my note app…

@MrValentine , did you ever get the text to speech working?

Was it a chore? I need to learn about it for wheel for fortune. It would be a small one-screen project.

This is what I want to do some day

I think its just fabulous.

Had it working fine, was asleep yesterday…

Made this for you

Mind you the voice will be different for all systems/cultures and I suspect on some systems may not even work…

You can query for installed voices if more than one and allow users to pick one…

I never really watched that show… never made any sense to me, but then again nothing on TV ever made sense to me :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t watch Daytime TV… movies though :slight_smile:

Having a tough time testing Roaming files… :frowning: Release 2 of my app is in the store but I really want roaming data to work at least… especially as my next app relies on it a lot…

1 Like

How much work is involved in making such a reader (without interface)?

Are you planning to make it on UWP? if not I don’t know otherwise:

I got it working in less than five lines so it is not that complicated, just depends on your implementation…

What does that mean?

Universal Windows Platform

oh yes, I’m all about the windows. from win 95 I’ve never used anything else. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think you can utilise those features on Desktop apps too, it’s just .NET so I was thinking about the storage folder haha

So this speech thing, its just available with a windows install basically? Or it comes with .net?

That would be great, I could make wheel of fortune :slight_smile: , that would be so funny to play with the fams

Both?

The voices are installed by the user if they go into the related settings on their systems and install more language packs…

But since Windows 10 comes with Cortana, I would assume there is always a voice installed by now… Windows 8/8.1 had voices installed too and I think 7 as well, though I have always used Ultimate/Pro editions, so cannot comment on basic/home editions…

Sounds like fun, be sure to put it on the Store so I can give it a try, I should write a tutorial on how to distribute Assigned Access app listings… you can create umm forgot the word right now but you can upload your apps and allow specific people to download it before placing it into the store for everybody to access it… have you registered yet?

1 Like

nope… And I am working on something else, and just registered on bit bucket, and learning some git, so there is a lot on my plate…

But its good to know wheel of forch is possible to do.

Well if you ever have some spare cash [About £19?], I believe it is still a one time payment, unlike a particular other store :stuck_out_tongue: , I believe Google is the same too? Steam is still £75 I think… but is that an annual fee? I forgot…

Uploaded to the store and in certification… 1.1.4.0

I really should move onto making my next app now :stuck_out_tongue: but tempted to add the option of tracking a few books at the same time sooner rather than later haha, nah… time for the next app… and get back to Web Dev and Game Dev…

Dang it, already thought of another update :stuck_out_tongue:

https://payments.discourse.org/buy/

wuut?

So which level is this forum using?

I thought it was free… but $100+/month is ridiculous… I looked into it because I noticed the forum was not using the touch friendly version, which makes me sad :frowning: as every device I use daily is touch screen based, including my main rig…

Oh well… that was a surprise… cannot wait to sponsor/donate the/to the MG community…

Oh nvm, that is for their hosting… still, those prices…

Hate being blind :frowning:

Hot dog the other day i had a mind to pick this back up and work on it was sitting on the shelf for months.

A while back i tore open the spritebatch classes for fun and unrolled all the matrixs as well as started sorting out how it all fit together. Long story short.

I decided to rewrite the drawstring method as the basis to speed up text drawing

Then i thought wrapped text would be nice.
If spritebatch just plain did it for you !

But who wants there spritebatch messed with, spritebatch is classic and timeless.

So i turned it into one separate class that just does what drawstring does directly but with extras. I also cut out some of the in-beween junk from xna like character source and replaced it with a stringbuilder. Pass a font to the class grab the glyph data, calculate the text to gylphs to screen then just call spritebatch.Draw instead. Presto it calls directly to draw internal bypassing drawInto altogether…

So thats what ive been working on the last week and its starting to show results.

This is text that is confined to a rectangle bounding box, it both wraps text based on whole words, and if the words are too big it does the next best thing cuts them in half.

Better yet i figured out that measure string can be replaced by something totally different and way faster basically just recording the draws and glyphs of a final word wrapped, letter wrapped, or boundry cut operation. Would allow you to create a data buffer to send to a optimized draw call that would just blaze thru drawing it the second time around.

Its not fully tested or no where near optimized but as you can see from the above i got it basically working.

1 Like