General Showcase Thread

Is that your game editor?

Yeap!

1 Like

For me at the moment it takes some time to write a new class for a model which I want to test in my engine. I apply the textures “by hand”. I had some cases where the preview on the page where I downloaded the model looked pretty good but when imported into my engine it looked not as expected. So I threw some away. On the other hand it is a little boring to have the same test models all the time :smile:
So a model viewer would be helpful for a quick preview of what the model would look like. :slight_smile:

It’s funny how useful this is. I’ve installed 3 FBX viewers, and ALL of them stopped working after a day or so (the process starts, but the program is AWOL). I would love to test my animations in this! Did you use BetterSkinned for the animation?

No, it’s probably using the SkinningSample. I have to dig out the project files and update it to my current animation library. I can upload it as a sample if that’s gonna help others.

1 Like

Time to join the fray ^^

It’s nothing much, but I temporarily shelved Orbstinate (for a weekend or so) as I got inspiration for another game:

Hour of work so far…

4 Likes

Finally going somewhere! Though I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out exact ‘Position’ and ‘Origin’ for the weapons…

Now to make some dummy targets, which will then also be used as AI ships to try and test things before attempting to add multiplayer functionality.

I made some screen transitions for fun

1 Like

Neat! Is it just pixel shaders that take two textures and an interpolation value?

Yeah, the basic idea is that i save the state before the transition to a rendertarget and then fade/transition out the rendertarget based on time.

I’ve implemented some basic motion blur on the balls for testing.

I like the previous one with circular shaped transition looks like something out of a sci fi movie.

I’ve implemented the basics of Order-independent transparency from Morgan Mcguire’s papers.

OIT aims to solve one of the biggest hurdles of 3d graphics in that we have to sort transparent objects before drawing, or they will not correctly blend. With this technique the order of drawing does not matter, but it’s more expensive and not perfect either.

nothing fancy, but interesting regardless

4 Likes

Hmm, so drawing in any order, regardless of blending… must be expensive…

it’s kinda ok, the big slowdown in this scene is the dragon with ludicrous amounts of polygons.

If i take it out, and only compute on the three planes i get 2000 fps, otherwise 800. As with all transparency overdraw is a factor and in this case it’s only little overlapping.

I would need to try with a lots of meshes i guess.

1 Like

how this technique benefit in deferred rendering?

it benefits any rendering because you dont have to worry about ordering your stuff. For particles for example you don’t have to sort them by distance to camera.

which mean i can have partial transparent object render together in Gbuffer?

no the g-buffer cannot do transparents by design, at least a traditional one.

Guerilla Games do build a g-buffer Atlas per particle though, which is an interesting hybrid.

I’ve rounded out (!) my transitions with a circle transition.

They have a very smooth border, but the gif compression makes it seem a bit blocky since the limited color range can’t interpolate well (no dithering)

Honestly though, the only one really satisfying and undistracting is the swipe. I’m probably gonna use that one in all future projects that have more than one screen state.

1 Like