General Showcase Thread

cool, does it still work like cubemap shadow with different filter or just different approach?

different approach altogether.

so, the final shadow ouput still store in cubemap form?

It would be definitively faster with computeshaders ! :slight_smile: but we have to deal with the things we have.

I was wondering if I would add SDF after reading unreal4 papers, but as my engine is space dedicated, it would not be very usefull I think, but you are working on a nice feature :wink:

Well, to revive this thread a bit.

I first wanted an experimet a little with Noise algorithms and their use in map generation, and of course, Monogame was quickest to do it.

It seems I went overboard with it.

Basically, map uses multiple OpenSimplex passes to generate terrain, forests, biomes and resources, and by multiplying the input with certain factors, I can control how the map is generated.

Now, the question is, how to progress from here…

5 Likes

This seems like the least obnoxious place to do so, so I’m promoting my game here. It’s not groundbreaking, but it showcases the basics that MonoGame can accomplish and what I think is most important - that MonoGame does save you from having to work with Android and iOS separately.

It’s a simple puzzle game, where the objective is to move over each tile in the level.

Download links:
Android – Google Play Store
iOS – Apple App Store

The community has generally been very helpful - thank you guys. I couldn’t have done it without your help. Still, there remain some issues (ie the S8 flickering as mentioned in this thread and as far as I can see no iPhoneX support). For everyone working on or adding to MonoGame, thanks for all you do - hope you’ll continue to push MonoGame to be better and better.

3 Likes

You can always post a standalone thread, this is just a cumulative thread, so people can just go down one thread and see random concepts…

Original Paper Mario Tattle replication with a RenderTarget zooming in on the enemy (reference).

EDIT: Replaced with shareable link. It was private.

I think your link’s down @Kimimaru. That sounds like fun; I always liked reading up more on enemies in my games (the Yoshi’s Island on DS has a really good enemy zoo you can populate which I haven’t seen in other games too, if that’s something you’d go for).

Anyways, I feel like I’ll weigh in with an update on my progress while I’m here (a montage of my progress after one year working on my love letter to early 3D games):

Ain’t gonna lie, making the mechanics and engine has been fun. But actually making a game using those mechanics can get quite stressful. There’s so much subjectivity on what makes a game fun. Actually designing a level or settling on a mechanic can be a far greater challenge than programming a physics engine. tl;dr, give your level editors a thank you letter next time you see them :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I wrote up a class that stores pixel data of previous frames and can export a frame as an image or a set of frames as a GIF. It uses ImageSharp for the exporting. You can use it to make a GIF exporter built into your game, which is pretty neat. Here’s a gist with the code and a small sample project: https://gist.github.com/Jjagg/b1dce39b23192f46205a75d3a6482073

And the amazing result:

12 Likes

This would make a nice addition to a official monogame extras or utility namespace.

Replication of the text system from the first two Paper Mario games, utilizing “control codes,” which are HTML-like elements in a piece of text that have a variety of effects on the text’s behavior.

Video

All the effects are achieved in one big string ran through a parser. The scrolling and input prompts are also control codes themselves. More details and source here.

5 Likes

Looks awesome! I was just recently thinking about how to implement something similar into the project I’m working on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m in…

tiled forward

4 Likes

That’s crazy looking.

Realtime voronoi fracturing

Made this some time ago but never shared.

Ignore the fact that the objects dissapear for 1 frame when fractured, easily fixed.

6 Likes

What did you use to make that ?

The physics engine I believe is bullet physics, other than that I used a library to compute the Delaunay triangulations and from there my own code to slice the triangles on the cpu.

Graphics engine is my own and texture is from minecraft.

3 Likes

wow nice. Do you cull / assign the lights on the CPU?

yes, since we don’t have CS yet