Getting started on Windows 8.1 with VS 2013

This is my first post so hi everyone!

I’m trying to get started with MonoGame on Windows and I’m running into some issues. I used the 3.2 installer for VS (I have VS 2013 Ultimate with Update 2 if it matters). I was able to get a Windows Store project up and running, though initially project template was busted, targeting previous VS version. Looks like I wasn’t the first one to run into this so I was able to fix it by bumping up the template version number.

Now I’m trying to understand how the Content thing works, so I can get my first sprite rendering. If I try to use the MonoGame Content Project template, I get this error:

A problem was encountered creating the sub project ‘GameName1’. The project file ‘C:\Users\Vlad\AppData\Local\Temp\r2jb35ws.2tk\Temp\GameName1.csproj’ cannot be opened.

There is a missing project subtype.
Subtype: ‘{6D335F3A-9D43-41b4-9D22-F6F17C4BE596}’ is unsupported by this installation.

I also tried to clone the monogames.samples project from GitHub and when I try to open the Windows Store solution, I get the following:

error : The imported project “C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets” was not found. Confirm that the path in the declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

This is probably just me being very ignorant about how content works, but I can’t seem to get neither blank project nor a sample up and running on my machine. Looks like I must have missed something during setup, but I can’t figure out what. I indeed don’t have the MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets file in there. I have a MonoGame.ContentPipeline.targets, but no Builder.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Same issue - just installed VS 2013 Express (community) and Monogame 3.2

Created a new Monogame project - ran fine. Tried to create a Content project - and it comes up with this error (missing project subtype)

Bah, means I can’t use Monogame for now… will have to start my new project with XNA until there is a fix for this…

Seems like a bad bug - basically means you can’t use Monogame…?

Thanks for any help!

Found that checking out the master branch resolves the following issue:

The imported project “C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets” was not found