How do I Develop for Windows Phone 8.1 with Visual Studio 2015

I’m a new Monogame developer and have been working through tutorials using Monogame for Windows.

I’m running Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2015.

With Monogame 3.4 installed there does not seem to be any Visual Studio Project Templates for Windows Phone 8 or 8.1. Can anyone explain how I could set up such a project? Or maybe some tutorials that would explain it.

You will have to install Visual Studio 2013 to create a new WP 8.1 MonoGame project I am afraid. You will then be able to work with it in VS 2015.

I had to do this myself. You might get problems installing 2013 after 2015 - in my case I had to re-install Windows 10 and re-install them in the correct order.

I don’t know why this was done, it’s a major pain in the arse, but it’s solvable.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I think I will have to find someone with 2013 who can create a new project from the template and just zip it up and send it to me. Once I have that I can just use it as a basis for all new projects, at least until I understand how to make a game from a blank project.

Thanks again.

I tried with VS 2015 but there is no template for a WP 8.1 project (using monogame) so I tried a universal app but was a pain

So I decide to try with VS 2013 Express and it does work

First install Visual Studio Express 2013 with Update 5 for Windows and then MonoGame for Visual Studio

If it doesn’t works, try the nuget package - https://www.nuget.org/packages/MonoGame.Framework.WindowsPhone81/

** I Develop a sampleapp for Windows Phone 8.1 with Visual Studio 2015 am getting error below how can i solve that issue**

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: -1988945900 winApp1.WinPhone

You can download template from monogame source, and install it manualy :wink:

I just downloaded Visual Studio 2015 Community and MonoGame for Visual Studio.
Where can I download the template for Windows Phone 8/8.1?
In addition, I don’t know how to install the template manually in Visual Studio 2015. How can I do that?

When you install Visual Studio 2015 or 2013 it will ask you for extras you want to install. One of them can be the SDK for Windows phone development. If you did not allow that option to be added while installing visual studio you can go to the repair/uninstall option for Visual studio and ask for it to install the SDK for you.

Once you do this, you would install Monogame for Visual Studio. This will give you the framework you are wanting to use (If you want this one).

After doing all of this, you just select the option for Monogame and then Windows 8.1. I am currently using VS 2013 for 8.1

Edit for a note: You will need a professional license for windows 10 devices if you are to emulate a windows phone. If you do not have the professional license, you will need a device.

1 Like