Installing MonoGame 3.6 on Linux

It looks like Arch isn’t packaging monodevelop anymore. There are multiple versions in the AUR and I can’t get any of them to build cleanly. I can’t even get monodevelop to compile manually. I’ve tried several tagged versions from 7.0 to 7.3. Guess it’s time to try some of the 6.x tagged versions =(

If you are able to run it with the root user, but not with the current user, than just delete your ~/.config/MonoDevelop-6.0 and ~/.cache/MonoDevelop-6.0 folders and you should be able to run it with your current user.

And if that doesn’t do it, post your ~/.config/MonoDevelop-6.0/Logs/Ide.log file, maybe I’ll know what’s causing it.

1 Like

Yea, its a bummer, monodevelop-stable AUR did compile for me last time I checked tho. That being said, version 6 should work for now out of the box, and if you decide to go for version 7 you’ll need to install msbuild and its extensions package and update gtk-sharp 2 to a newer version.

Thanks very much! Once I chown’ed both the ~/.cache/MonoDevelop-6.0 and ~/.config/MonoDevelop-6.0 directories and their contents to my user ID I was all set.

I’ve tried building MANY tagged versions (6 and 7) over the past few days and had 0 success getting any of them to build unfortunately =\

Also, the version of msbuild 15.5 from the AUR is busted as well. The URL no longer exists on mono-project.com. I managed to hack the PKGBUILD to pull 15.4. I don’t know if that’s related to my issues or not.

At this point, I don’t really know what else to try. Here’s a gist of what happens when I attempt to build it:
https://gist.github.com/nchowning/c0a3ee0cdc7e0349c627d586d2e84503

I included the output from ‘pacman -Q’ at the beginning so you could have a reference for the packages that I have installed. Any help that

Hello Harry. What do you use Arch Linux repo with already installed monodevelop IDE? Because sometimes I also use Arch Linux x86 and feel troubles with installing monodevelop. Thanks.

Hello there!

I followed the steps, and everything went fine 'til I reached the monogame installation dependencies.
It says that I don’t have gtk Sharp 3 installed:

` Dependencies:

• mono-runtime…[Found]
  • gtk-sharp3…[Not Found]

Optional Dependencies:

• MonoDevelop 6…[Found]
  • Rider…[Not Found]
  • referenceassemblies-pcl / mono-pcl…[Found]
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer / mscore-fonts…[Not Found]

Continue (Y, n):
`

But I installed it before with “apt-get install libgtk-3-dev”.
How can I solve this?

Install package “gtk-sharp3”

Hi,

doesn’t work with Fedora 27. There are no project templates in MD-stable. There were some “usage” messages during monogame install.

`[oppa@oppa-hex-ssd Downloads]$ su -c ‘./monogame-sdk.run’
Password:
Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing Monogame Pipeline Installer…
Dependencies:

• mono-runtime…[Found]
  • gtk-sharp3…[Found]

Optional Dependencies:

• MonoDevelop 6…[Found]
  • Rider…[Not Found]
  • referenceassemblies-pcl / mono-pcl…[Found]
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer / mscore-fonts…[Not Found]

Continue (Y, n):
Installing MonoGame SDK…
Installing MonoDevelop Addin…
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] []
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout] [-u user] file …
Creating launcher items…
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Adding mimetype…
To uninstall MonoGame SDK you can run “monogame-uninstall” from terminal.
`
Debian doesn’t work at all (MD crashing), F27 doesn’t show project templates. Got it, I’ll boot W10…

Edit: Looks like it did not arrive in MD-stable. What now, run installer again ?

No one, Windows lock-in for me ? :sob:

Strange, you can still install the addin from the gallery tab.

Hi,

I ran monogame-sdk.run again. This time using sudo instead of root account. No sudo errors and it’s showing up in MD-stable now.

The pipeline tool crashed because of a missing gtk-sharp3-devel. Found this online, was solved by installing that package.

Now I still have a minor problem with a project from Dr.T’s course at Coursera.

using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage; - The type or namspace name ‘Storage’ does not exist in the namespace ;Microsoft.Xna.Framework’. Are you missing an assembly reference ?

For now I can simply uncomment that, it still builds and runs so far…

Thanks,
Stephan

Ah, makes sense now.

Yup, Fedora broke the gtk-sharp-3 package into 2 parts, and included glue libraries in the wrong one… on the bright side you’ll be glad to know that MG 3.7 will not need this dependency.[quote=“Stephan_Goldenberg, post:51, topic:8811”]
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage; - The type or namspace name ‘Storage’ does not exist in the namespace ;Microsoft.Xna.Framework’. Are you missing an assembly reference ?
[/quote]

Storge API was removed from MonoGame since it was not really crossplatform.

1 Like

heya,
I too, tried to get started with MonoGame development on Arch Linux the last few days. I have problems with mono, with msbuild, and ofcourse MonoDevelop.

I can only get MonoDevelop working with the flatpak from the official website. But with this version, I can’t get MonoGame working. MonoDevelop simply doesn’t see MonoGame in my library. I can’t even search for the Assemblies. The folders dont show in MonoDevelop. But they are there. I also installed the MonoDevelop Extension for MonoGame to have the Project Templates. But when I create a new MonoGame project, it does add MonoGame.Framework to the references, but it still cant find that reference.

Hi,

did you read the first post of this thread ?

1 Like

yes but, what do you want to tell me?

I also tried the instructions from that post with no luck. I can install monodevelop from the cra0zy repo but it doesnt run.
“monodevelop-stable” does nothing
“mdtool-stable” doesnt exist
“monodevelop-stable-uninstall” works. but doesnt help. ^^

Hi,
I did not spot that post at first, so I thought you may have too.

Nothing to find in your GUI ? I had problems with MD crashing in siduction (Debian sid) but it did start and had the Monogame templates. I have a Fedora installation too and all works fine there.

So sorry, can’t help you with Arch.

Regards,
Stephan

I’ve tried alot of different things since i tried the instructions from the first post.

So I just went back now. And tried it again…

[EDIT]
… and recognized that I need gtk-sharp-2 to make monodevelop-stable run. (why doesnt it tell me…)

now with monogame-sdk installed Everything seems to be working fine.

Hi,

the joys of diversity and freedom. I needed gtk-sharp3-devel in Fedora…

Have fun,
Stephan

It tells you to install system MonoDevelop so you would get the dependencies installed: