Is there a way to use custom shaders on Mac?

I’m developing on Mac and I can’t compile HLSL shaders with Pipeline, so I’m wondering if it is possible to do it the other way?

Also, I’ve found on the forum that there is GLFX support underway, is it possible to use it or it is still under development?

I would be very grateful for an advice, because the issue is a blocker for my task.

Well custom shaders should work on mac, only creating them is the issue right?
The shaders are written in HLSL and then translated to GLSL to work with OpenGL so it’s the same shader code regardless of platform.

@Jjagg - the shader compiler / mgfx is windows only?

@kosmonautgames, yes, the issue is only how to create them.

Yes, it’s windows only because the DX hlsl compiler is proprietary and Windows only :frowning:

For more information on GLFX check out this post if you haven’t seen it yet. I haven’t worked on it in a while, but it seems to be pretty usable to @Zkylar

I’ve seen it, but I thought GLFX is not ready yet. I think I’ll compile shaders on Windows machine for now, it looks like a more robust solution and I’ll try another approach later.

Thanks for the help!

You might be interested in this: http://www.infinitespace-studios.co.uk/general/monogame-building-fx-shaders-on-a-mac-and-linux/

1 Like