Issue with playing 22khz sounds, extreme distortion

Hello, this is somewhat of a continuation of a problem I had awhile back but could not figure out why it was only happening with my project. Turns out, this distortion issue sounds were getting when played, comes from the fact that the sounds I played were all at 22khz. I used Audicity to convert the sounds to 44.1khz, and now monogame can play them perfectly.

This occurred on a Windows DirectX project.

EDIT: There also seems to be some issues with Xact. In XNA I can limit the number of instances of a sound and replace it (to avoid weird sound issues on rapid play), in Monogame, it seems to ignore the instance limit and play anyway which won’t work for my game because certain sounds are designed to be played multiple times sometimes 5 times per second etc…

Does anyone know how to fix this? Specifically the problem with xact ignoring instance limit. Sorry if this is considered spamming but I really need help.

For people like myself who get notified of message threads via email, we don’t see edits to existing posts, so I didn’t see the second part of your first post.

XACT is a black box. There is little to no information about the internals of XACT, so all of the implementation has been through reverse engineering the binary file format. So it is not surprising that some parts of it have been overlooked or omitted. Definitely list it as a bug though.

Did you try playing those 22kHz sounds through the regular SoundEffect and SoundEffectInstance path? This would let us know if the issue is specific to our XACT implementation or more wide-spread.

I’ve tried playing through both SoundEffect and SoundEffectInstance, this distortion issue occurs when using XACT as well.