Kinect and Monogame Compatibility

Hi all,

I am trying to make a xbox kinect game using visual studio 2017. I have tried many tutorials, but every time I get an error saying that .Net Framework and .Net Core are not compatible. Is there a way for me to get the kinect to work using visual studio 2017 and monogame in a universal windows project?

I have monogame 3.7, Visual Studio 15.9.11, and the kinect SDK installed. I have already tried setting the minimum and maximum target platform versions to "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update(10.0; Build 16299). Some forum posts talk about changing the target framework but when I create a MonoGame Windows 10 Universal (Core Application) program I can’t seem to change the target framework using any methods I have read online.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Do you have to use a universal windows project? Can’t you use a WindowsDX project?

I used Kinect and MonoGame for my Master Thesis, you can take a look and see if anything helps https://github.com/persn/MotionWordPlay

Umm, have you looked at Project Settings? seems you might be new to Visual Studio, perhaps start there?

Also @Aden_Berger, Hi and welcome to the forums.

Happy coding!

If by “Project Settings” you mean the Project Properties, yes I’ve looked there. On the Application tab under Targeting it says that the Target is “Universal Windows” and is not editable. Should I be looking elsewhere? What exactly do I need to set/change to be able to use a reference to Kinect (built on the .NET Framework not Core)?

Well for starters, not using the UWP template?

You will have to create a new project using the MonoGame.DesktopGL or MonoGame.DirectX templates.

Thank you. I used the Monogame.DesktopGL and MonoGame.DirectX templates and I see that I can add references and it will now build. How can I deploy to a remote machine(xbox)? I only have options to build, not deploy.

Just double checking, but 360 or XBOX One? I thought Kinect was dropped last year?

Oh, I didn’t realize you were trying to make an Xbox project. Yeah the Community Games have to be UWP, the DesktopGL and DirectX projects won’t work. Microsoft mentioned a few years back that the Kinect for Windows V2 update would work with UWP, but I never looked into it.

You should try reaching out to id@xbox and see if they can offer some guidance about indie game dev with the kinect on xbox one.

Glad I did a search, this is interesting news:

Shiny!

But yeah, if you are thinking to launch a game targeting the Kinect, probably a good idea to consider the market adoption numbers…