Little racing game - Video and Download :-)

@MrValentine @monopalle

Can one of you start a new thread explaining exactly what is broken?

1 Like

This. When I click reply to your comment, your avatar is displayed atop the editor, as if to indicate you as a specified recipient, but nothing happens.
You have to use ā€˜@ā€™ to get someone
But I will leave it to @MrValentine to create a new thread :slight_smile:

For what itā€™s worth the MSI Afterburner tool can record clips without leaving a watermark and without limitations.

1 Like

@Tom, will do, will upload a private video on my YT channel and link it on a dedicated thread.

@monopalle have you considered adding weapons or such to that game? or obstacles?

If you are on Windows 10, check out Reckless Racing Ultimate for some ideas of Camera and Obstacle usageā€¦

Have you created barriers that prevent players from just circling around the finish line a few times? or are you using check points to keep players in check?

Well, there is player to player collision and posts and walls and such, but I still donā€™t know if I want to go 3d, networking, or what, so its hard to say what direction it may goā€¦ I might start a new gameā€¦ 2d sidescrolling diablo type game perhapsā€¦

But as for weapons in this game, I started out considering the Mario-kart style of attacks, but now i feel more like just adding a track that is just a battle-field, and having the players start opposite each other, controlling tanks, that can turn in place and shoot and stuffā€¦ -something I feel like I could do in a short amount of time.

1 Like

@MrValentine @YTN @kosmonautgames @Tom

Just wanted to let you guys know that I captured my first footage, and put it on a youtubes.
Its just my first good test footage for now, but thereā€™s a link in the main post if you want a peek.
Could only get 720p at 60 frames, but its a start.

Give it a like if you go, my life from now on is all about maximizing metrics! :straight_ruler:++

1 Like

@monopalle The game looks great! The only thing left is to support a split screen 2 player mode :wink:

I think he has the camera set up to always follow both cars, so thereā€™s that

1 Like

@monopalle

Subscribed and liked, I am your first like :slight_smile: possibly your first subscriber too :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway I can see how you are using the checkpoints, it might be more challenging if the light indicators were not on the cars themselves and in a corner or something, perhaps in a higher difficulty setting?

The audio was jittering, this is because of the recorder? or the actual sound effects?

Can you try using the [WIN]+[G] method to record and see what result it gives? as this should be much better, in my experience it does extremely wellā€¦

Any chance of Four player modes? ^^; [I have four XB360 pads as I was developing a four player game before]

Thank you, that really tips the ratio in my favor, lol. I expect to be uploading more footage going forward. -Uploading this video took almost an hour, but youtube said there is a faster way of uploading, so Iā€™ll have to check that out.

That was actually so you wouldnā€™t need to take your eye off the car and the road ahead. You think it gets in the way?[quote=ā€œMrValentine, post:29, topic:8228ā€]
The audio was jittering, this is because of the recorder? or the actual sound effects?
[/quote]

Yeah, the sounds are terrible, but amusingā€¦ I have only done one-off or repeating sound effects in the past, this is my first attempt at continuous and dynamic soundā€¦
I use something like a short bass-thud for the engine sound. Then Increase the pitch and play-frequency to match current speedā€¦ Then I alternate playing sounds between each player, so both engines get through, and donā€™t interfere with each other.[quote=ā€œMrValentine, post:29, topic:8228ā€]
Any chance of Four player modes? ^^; [I have four XB360 pads as I was developing a four player game before]
[/quote]

I have considered it. Just never thought it would come up![quote=ā€œMrValentine, post:29, topic:8228ā€]
the [WIN]+[G] method
[/quote]

Whats this you say?

Here you go, you can thank me later:

It opens the Game Bar on Windows 10 :slight_smile:
http://www.howtogeek.com/219947/how-to-record-pc-gameplay-with-windows-10ā€™s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

What is this sorcery? :sparkles:

When I did that with my first video, it took an hour to upload one minute!

-Then youtube mentioned something about streaming, which would upload faster [?]ā€¦
I noticed a lot of screen-capture tools have streaming optionsā€¦ But I thought the term streaming referred strictly to live broadcastsā€¦ If I can just live-stream to the server, why would anyone bother with a slower file-upload?

Streaming doesnā€™t change the fact that you need the same amount of data for same video quality.

The difference, however, between an uncompressed avi and a high quality compressed video is negligible, but their file size difference is not.
Donā€™t upload uncompressed video, even basic tools like Windows Movie Maker can make good quality mp4s with drastically reduced filesizes.

@monopalle No just would be more challengingā€¦ that is why I mentioned difficulty :slight_smile:

So the sound clicking is intentional? :open_mouth:

I mentioned the XBOX shortcut a day agoā€¦ about the 12th post downā€¦

hmmā€¦ Well, on my speakers I hear more of a thud than a clickā€¦ Sounds like an old propeller engine.
-Of coarse when both cars are moving, the game sounds more dynamicā€¦ Half the sound in the video is a car in idle.

I will try to get some 2 player footage if can convince a friend to play the second car. Iā€™ve tried controlling both, and that only woks in short bursts.

Honestly I dont think I will go much further with this projectā€¦ It was only meant to be a little thing for me and a friend to do, I need to focus on something new and challengingā€¦ Networking or 3d+shaders, donā€™t know yet.

I guess Iā€™m looking for an idea that I cant resistā€¦

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ I just tried my first compression, (link in top-post) I used a tool called ā€˜hand brakeā€™ā€¦ File size is reduced to like <10%, pretty crazyā€¦ But the quality is way down, might as well be 720p at mostā€¦

I guess this is down to compression rate vs quality, so Iā€™ll be looking for a good ratioā€¦

Video 2, you really cannot hear the clicks? I am not talking about the hummingā€¦

Yes, in video 2 I can, I think it down to the compression though. I have just put up a less compressed version, let me know if its still there :slight_smile: