MonoGame Extended License

Hello,
I am currently developing a game (just like everyone else here), and I want to use MonoGame.Extended, but as licensing is a big part of releasing a game I of course had to get in touch with the licenses.

MonoGame.Extended uses the MIT License, whose condition is: License and copyright notice (at least that was what I read on Github).

What exactly would I have to do if I released my game (I don’t want it to be licensed with MIT too.)?

Thank you!

The MIT License is not a viral license like GPL. You do not have to license your own software under MIT because you used a library that is licensed under MIT.

If you look at the MIT License in the GitHub repo, it gives a good summary of the license.

A short and simple permissive license with conditions only requiring preservation of copyright and license notices. Licensed works, modifications, and larger works may be distributed under different terms and without source code.

Simply put, don’t remove any of the copyright or license notices from the MonoGame.Extended code.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Does this mean that I only have to leave the copyright notices, but I don’t have to add special ones like another license file or something?

Correct. Leave them as they are. In other words, don’t claim then as your own. And nothing else to add.

1 Like

I’ll do that! Thank you very much!