MonoGame Feature Wishlist

I agree… I would like to see this too done in some efficient manner.

1 Like

I’d like to see a built in blob/tar function in the pipeline tool. Just line the files up one after another, and ad an index with byte offsets at the start. Pretty much what Tar does.

Then add a blob parser to the API that loads the index and can hand over file stream handles for loading.

Conceivably, one could add encryption to the mix. It would have to be pretty trivial to be decoded at runtime, but it would serve as obfuscation. Making it hard to get at the assets unless you really really mean to.

Secondly, a minimum size for resizable windows would be handy.

( I am new to MG, and I apologize profusely if either of these suggestions are already implement or solved already. )

1 Like

Xbox One support.

Also, the ability to move rectangles using float variables ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

There already is Xbox One support…

I think he means XBOX Live features and ID@XBOX…

https://github.com/Microsoft/xbox-live-api-csharp/

1 Like

Please improve and support with VulkanGL! Is it possible?

If I could vote, I’d vote for the possibility of making HTML5 games with Monogame. I’m not sure if it’s feasible and I’m no expert but has anyone heard of Bridge.NET? It’s a C#-to-JS compiler I found yesterday, within a few minutes I managed to make a little game. http://image.prntscr.com/image/7f9d5ff64e494770ac04242fe7a78a2f.png

Using collections, different files for classes, all of .NET worked well (I’m now even experimenting with Brigde.Pixi - PixiJS bindings). Maybe Monogame could use it, but I don’t really know if that’d be possible.

2 Likes

Web GL or HTML5 support would be awesome.

Why? You can make your own easily enough.

monogame can you work with kinect and windows phone and hololen also oculus rift an steam powered also xbox avatar also Creoqode also PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 as a idea suggestion .
does monogames work on hololens, steam powered and oculus rift ? does monogamous work on windows 10 universal app on all devices? xbox 360, xbox one , xbox scorpio, xbox s, windows phone , zune , desktop and laptop. steam powered has a lot indie developers for pc i thought you can add that.
can you make a step to step tutorial also walk throughs on how to download your software on macOS and other operating systems? how it works? how to use it ? xna creators club theres many books on that i thought someone can start writting for monogames or even do video lessons video tutorials for monogames?

I teach high school kids C# with MonoGame and having built-in methods for drawing circles, lines, squares etcetera would be great for them.

1 Like

how would you want that to look like?

Like spritebatch?

eg
ShapeBatch.Begin()
ShapeBatch.DrawCircle(…)
ShapeBatch.End()

or

Shape.DrawCircle() only

Aint this already part of the ‘extended’ lib?

Both of these look good, whichever of them fits the underlying architecture of MonoGame best is the one I would want.

I don’t know, I haven’t used MonoGame.Extended myself. However when using MonoGame with students I think using the original MonoGame and not MonoGame.Extended is what I prefer.

Yes, it is.
spritebatch.Line, Circle, etc…

You should try first, then decide :slight_smile:

Installation is easy enough, I managed to do it myself also ^^

hmm, the monogame extended implementation is certainly interesting and probably works best for your case @eddeland

On the upside it’s integrated with spritebatch, so everything can be batched in one go and you can continue to work with it.

spritebatch.Begin()
spritebatch.Draw(tex, …)
spritebatch.DrawString(…)
spritebatch.DrawCircle(…)
spritebatch.End()

So the implementation is very easy to understand and use.

On the downside it’s not as performant as it could be since it uses spritebatch with a texture read per pixel and some rotation math each frame for each segment of a circle for example, BUT it’s still very fast in the overall context.

The per-frame cost is also constant, no caching is going on.

Overall I think it’s a good implementation, which certainly conforms to the default monogame drawing behavior and therefore I’d say it’s a good fit for almost every case.

The reason for prefering MonoGame over MonoGame.Extended is not that MonoGame.Extended is hard to install (since it isnt) but rather that it would feel nice to be able to say

“Now we are going to use MonoGame, a framework used to make Bastion, Transistor, Stardew Valley etc. and it’s easy to use and it has methods and classes for everything that we need”

and not having to say

“We also need this extra part to be able to draw circles, lines and other geometrical shapes”

It would feel more like a complete package if line-drawing and circle-drawing were added to MonoGame. I understand the idea of not adding a physics engine and other entity systems to MonoGame since MonoGame is a framework for drawing to the screen, checking input and playing audio. People may want to implement physics, entity systems and other stuff differently but to my knowledge there’s no reason not to figure out a “best way” to implement drawing of geometrical shapes that everyone could use.