MonoGame inside your web browser

Absolutely awesome. The future is here :slight_smile:

This is very cool and promising. I can’t wait for full support of WebGL.

Not sure what you mean by full webgl support?

So far the Blazor approach is probably the best way of implementing the WASM solution of Monogame. However, it immediately breaks on iOS 11. Still some time to wait until all the big guys stabilize it.

Blazor is just using monos wasm port, technically there is only 1 way to convert C# to WASM right now.

Great stuff! Looking forward to the results in the future

This looks super awesome, the Monogame JS looks pretty light as well which is great, excited to try out :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Currently, assets are not encrypted ( https://i.imgur.com/KNBbkG5.png ). Will this change? :slight_smile:

It can load .xnb assets, if you are asking that, but in general XNA/MonoGame never had any encrypted assets to begin with.

Whatever happened to XNA + Silverlight + Windows Phone?

Silverlight’s last Visual Studio is 2015 (2017 doesn’t support it by default and not sure about addons).

XNA has a Silverlight app option for Windows Phone, is there anyway to forget the app and make it run in a browser? Silverlight seems dead or dying and is probably best for XNA/MonoGame developers to avoid and is probably a nightmare for any past XNA users(?).

This seems like a working example, although I haven’t tried it, XNA on Silverlight for those interested:

As for the post’s solution(Web Demo), it doesn’t run on Windows 10’s or Windows 10 Mobiles’ Edge Browsers. Haven’t tried Internet Explorer…

Silvevrlight is a browser plugin, and browser plugins are dead.

As for not being able to run on Edge, its because its much easier to support WebGL 2 than 1 as it is way more feature complete. I can actually run stuff using WebGL 1 but render targets are way too much of a pain to implement them:

And as the last note, who uses Edge? Its a horrible horrible web browser.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a matter of being horrible. I mean, Linux is a horrible OS and it’s supported by MonoGame, isn’t it?

Anyways, it’s Edge browser the one that should to the work and implement WebGL2

Facepalm… Linux is literally one of the most dominant OSs on everything except Desktop PCs. Also judging you extremely hard on that one as I use Linux as my daily driver.

2 Likes

Hi, I can’t install the new bridge/web package as I don’t have Web Core. I’m running VS 2013. I’ve managed to download the MG bridge VS package using NuGet but ‘dotnet’ commands aren’t available. Can you suggest an alternative way please?

You can sideload VS17 or if your system meets the requirements, try VSCode [Same applies to VS17]

Yup, you need VS 2017.

Thanks for the help. Yep I had to install vs2017.
So I got it working. But when I came to integrating my existing code base I came across a major problem. The Bridge C# library uses its own version of mscorlib.dll I believe and as such it creates circular references with my existing code (which uses the standard libs such as system.dll, system.web.dll, entity framework, mvc etc. I could not for the life of me get them to work together due to conflicting references. The guys over at the Bridge C# project suggested I need to create a Bridge project and add all my code to that. Tried it, still couldn’t sort the problems. So… is there anyway you MonoGame guys will use another library or are you stead fast on Bridge? I’m having to look elsewhere for a C# to WebGL solution - probably Unity (which is sickenly complicated for what I want to achieve).

Hmmm, I wonder if I can get ModLab running in web browser, this might be interesting project.

We can potentially add Microsoft Edge to the supported list here soon…

1 Like