Monogame +.NET Core + Tiled (Monogame.Extended) = Steam?

Hi,

After updating Monogame and Monogame.Extended on my game project a couple weeks ago I haven’t had any success getting it to run anymore.

I’ve fixed some of the issues but decided I might as well port my game to one of the Monogame.Extended sample projects which work fine on my machine.

I want to release my game on Steam for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Question is, is Monogame.Extended (for Tiled, etc.) + .NET Core the way to go to release on Steam?

Thanks all!

Um, no? : - D

Like, it’s certainly an option, but in no way a must. And MG.Ext Tiled lib is pretty much unusable.

1 Like

Thanks @Martenfur !

I’ve pulled out what remains of my hair trying to get MG.Ext Tiled to work after stupidly upgrading from 1.1 without making a backup. Specifically I’m getting the following two errors:

Failed to load assembly ‘***/packages/MonoGame.Extended.Content.Pipeline.3.7.0/lib/netstandard2.0/MonoGame.Extended.Content.Pipeline.dll’: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

and

error: Failed to create importer ‘TiledMapImporter’

The DLL DOES have the TiledMapImporter and I can’t figure out what the problem is after reading through other posts multiple times.

As for Monogame and Steam (and Tiled), what tool chain would I use to get that working? (I want to stick with Monogame and Tiled to get this game on Steam).

Thanks again.

What I ended up doing to fix this was I added all the DLLs referenced by MonoGame.Extended.Content.Pipeline.dll to its folder, as defined in the Content.mgcb config file at the line below:

/reference:…\packages\MonoGame.Extended.Content.Pipeline.3.7.0\lib\netstandard2.0\MonoGame.Extended.Content.Pipeline.dll

As a permanent fix to get going with my project and not deal with these needless issues

1. I’ll remove ALL nuget references in my project
  2. I’ll add the actual referenced DLLs to a library folder in my project and will move references in my VS solution and Content.mgcb config file to these DLLs
  3. I’ll update the referenced DLLs when necessary

Hope that helps anyone else dealing with this.