Monogame project not running

Hello, I am having trouble running my project on Ubuntu 18.04. I’m using the latest version of MonoDevelop as well as Monogame 3.7.1. I have installed all of the dependencies (ibopenal-dev, mono-runtime, gtk-sharp3, ttf-mscorefonts) and I am able to create a project with the cross platform template on MonoDevelop.

However when I try to run my game the window never shows up and the error I’m getting is as follows:
Cannot open assembly ‘/home/serk/Projects/Pong/Pong/bin/DesktopGL/Any CPU/Debug/Pong.Desktop.exe’: No such file or directory.

Any suggestion to try to get this to work?

This is an issue with MonoDevelop I think. It added .Desktop to the name. That’s probably a configuration that needs to be changed. I’d like to recommend VS Code instead of MonoDevelop though. That’s what I use on Linux.

Does VSCode work well with monogame for you? Also is the setup easy for it? I actually did get it to work in MonoDevelop throught the solution options but if VS Code is better for monogame than I would like to try it, Thanks!

The only thing that’s specific to MonoGame is the templates, MonoGame doesn’t really provide anything else to integrate with IDEs. MG only includes project templates for Visual Studio and MonoDevelop, so you’d still need to create the project with MD. It’s a matter of preference, really.

I have exactly the same problem :frowning:

For anyone else that might be running into this, check your .csproj file and search for .Desktop. See if it is somewhere it shouldn’t be and remove it if it is. Hope that helps!

1 Like

This can be solved by going to the directory that contains the [YOUR_APP].Desktop.csproj file, should be /home/[USER]/Projects/[YOUR_APP]/[YOUR_APP]/ , and double clicking on the file to execute it. This should generate a bunch of files including the missing .exe file and allow the app to run.

I don’t know if this is a step that should or could be run from within monodevelop, but it does work.