Myra - UI Library for the MonoGame

Hi Steve!
Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were talking about some sort of C# events, which caused some confusion.
Well, I still think that you simply need to prevent processing mouse input if the mouse pointer is over Myra menu-component.
To make that first of all add following method:

private bool IsMouseOverGUI()
{
        var isMouseOverGUI = false;
	foreach(var widget in _desktop.Widgets)
	{
		if (widget.IsMouseOver)
		{
			isMouseOverGUI = true;
                        break;
		}
	}

return isMouseOverGUI;
}

Where _desktop is Myra’s Desktop (it is named _host in some samples).
Then add call to the above method to your code:

if (coMouseState.LeftButton == Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.ButtonState.Pressed && !IsMouseOverGUI())
	{
		Find_MouseSelectedHex(ref loHexTile);
		coSelectedHexTile = new HexMapEngine.Structures.HexTile();
		coSelectedHexTile = loHexTile;
		coSelectedHexTile.HEX_TILE_SELECTED = true;
	}

As for separating Myra’s input processing from the rest of MonoGame infrastructure. Well, current Myra versions doesnt allow that. In future prob I could hack into Mouse object and erase mouse’s state if mouse click had been processed by Myra. Though I am unsure if it’s correct approach for such problem.It definitely requires more research.

Myra 0.7.2 is out!
UI Form Serialization format had been changed to the human readable xml.
Now Myra UI Editor could be used in conjunction with a text editor(click on the below animated gif to see it):

Also I’ve wrote wiki entry describing Myra UI Form Serialization:

Link to the latest binary release distribution: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.7.2.142/Myra.0.7.2.142.zip

Myra Project Site: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra

2 Likes

Hi Roman…

I have been trying multiple variations on your recommended coding suggestion with no success. I believe I have found the reasons why, which has to do with the way your internal object structures for the menu reflect their information.

The top-most structure that is used as the container for your menu is the Desktop structure. As my code shows below, the attributes and properties of this structure are fairly generic…

>>>
?coMyraUIDesktop
{Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Desktop}
Bounds: 0 0 0 0
ContextMenu: null
FocusedWidget: null
KeyboardState: {Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.KeyboardState}
ModalWidget: null
MousePosition: 0 0
MouseState: {Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.MouseState}
MouseWheel: 0
Widgets: Count = 1
_widgets: Count = 1
<<<

The next structure, which actually defines the container for the menu is the Grid structure as shown below…

>>> (At generation of menu components)
?coMyraUIDesktop.Widgets[0]
{Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Grid}
AbsoluteBounds: 0 0 0 0
AbsoluteLocation: 0 0
AcceptsTab: false
Background: null
Border: null
CanFocus: false
ChildCount: 1
Children: Count = 1
ClipToBounds: false
ColumnSpacing: 1
ColumnsProportions: Count = 1
Desktop: {Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Desktop}
DisabledBackground: null
DisabledBorder: null
DisabledOverBackground: null
DrawLines: false
DrawLinesColor: 255 255 255 255
Enabled: true
GridPositionX: 0
GridPositionY: 0
GridSpanX: 1
GridSpanY: 1
HeightHint: null
HorizontalAlignment: Stretch
Id: null
IsFocused: false
IsMouseOver: false
LayoutBounds: 0 0 0 0
MouseButtonsDown: null
OverBackground: null
OverBorder: null
PaddingBottom: 0
PaddingHeight: 0
PaddingLeft: 0
PaddingRight: 0
PaddingTop: 0
PaddingWidth: 0
Parent: null
RenderBounds: 0 0 0 0
RowSpacing: 1
RowsProportions: Count = 1
Size: 0 0
Tag: null
TotalColumnsPart: null
TotalRowsPart: null
VerticalAlignment: Stretch
Visible: true
WidthHint: null
XHint: 0
YHint: 0
<<<

>>> (at runtime when menu is displayed)
?coMyraUIDesktop.Widgets[0]
{Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Grid}
AbsoluteBounds: 0 0 1200 1000
Background: null
Bounds: 0 0 1200 1000
ColumnSpacing: 1
Id: null
IsMouseOver: true
LayoutBounds: 0 0 1200 1000
Parent: null
RenderBounds: 0 0 1200 1000
RowSpacing: 1
RowsProportions: Count = 1
Size: 1200 1000
WidthHint: null
<<<

If you notice the RenderBounds between the when the grid structure is created and when it is finally displayed, you will note that the dimensions change from “0,0,0,0” to that of “0,0,1200,1000”. This appears to mean that the display grid will cover a much larger area of the screen than the actual displayed components take. This also appears to mean that the capturing of mouse-over events can be trapped at the much larger grid-level than should be. I have been able to test this by selecting a point on the displayed screen outside the bounds of the actually displayed menu and yet the function that validates for a mouse-over test for the menu returns “true” when it should be false.

In addition, I have not been able to easily drill down further into the menu’s internal structure to be able to test the actual, individual menu component structures for similar properties. And yet, even if I can, these similar properties appear to be unaffected by any mouse-over events.

For example the structure for the actual “Horizontal Menu” has the following attributes and properties…

>>>
?coMyraUIDesktop.Widgets[0].FindWidgetById(“MyraMasterMenu”)
{Myra.Graphics2D.UI.HorizontalMenu}
AbsoluteBounds: 0 0 0 0
Background: {button {X:309 Y:162 Width:12 Height:20}}
ColumnSpacing: 0
Id: “MyraMasterMenu”
IsMouseOver: false
Items: Count = 1
LayoutBounds: 0 0 0 0
MenuItemStyle: {Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Styles.MenuItemStyle}
OpenMenuItem: null
Orientation: Horizontal
Parent: {Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Grid}
RenderBounds: 0 0 0 0
RowSpacing: 0
RowsProportions: Count = 0
SeparatorStyle: {Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Styles.MenuSeparatorStyle}
Size: 0 0
WidthHint: 1200
<<<

If you notice, the “IsMouseOver” boolean property is “false” for the “Horizontal Menu” structure even if one were to place the mouse directly over the main menu strip that is stretched across the entire top part of the screen.

If I have done my analysis correctly, these disparities are why your suggested code is not yielding the expected results.

This would be fine if such interfaces were to be defined on completely separate screens as is often shown for beginning game tutorials for 2D games. However, I am attempting to develop a rather complex simulation and to date the Myra UI is the top interface library I can find for MonoGame. And I have researched such libraries quite extensively.

I am hoping that with the information have provided you can provide a resolution to this issue as I really do not want to start looking for another interface library since I feel that the Myra UI has great potential for the MonoGame Development Community… :relaxed:

Steve Naidamast

Hi Steve,
So the Grid stretches over the whole screen, that is why it always returns IsMouseOver=true and my suggestion fails.
Well, in that case IsMouseGUI method should look like following:

private bool IsMouseOverGUI()
{
  if (_horizontalMenu.IsMouseOver)
  {
    return true;
  }

if (_desktop.ContextMenu != null && _desktop.ContextMenu.IsMouseOver)
  {
    return true;
  }

return false;
}

I realize that above code is not obvious, therefore I’ve created new ticket related to the discussed issue: #40

Thanks for bringing it!

Hi Roman…

I just sent you an email with the notes I posted yesterday and then noticed that you had responded in the forums here.

I will give your suggestions a try in a little while.

Thank you again for all your wonderful assistance in this… :relaxed:

Hi Roman…

I was just able to implement your newly recommended code for the testing of a mouse over in my menu system.

It appears to be working now as needed.

I have noticed only what appears to be a minor “bug” but that appears to be in my own hex highlight clearing code and has nothing to do with the menu system.

Thank you so much for your excellent help… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Myra 0.7.5 is out!
Now it is possible to apply a custom stylesheet in the UI Editor(click on the below animated gif to see it action):

Also issue #40 had been fixed, @SNaidamast.

Link to the latest binary release(it contains ui and stylesheets demonstrated at the above gif): https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.7.5.146/Myra.0.7.5.146.zip

NuGet had been updated as well.

1 Like

Myra 0.7.6 is out.
This version contains refactoring and bug fixes based on the feedback I got.
Right now, functionality wise Myra is close to what I’ve planned originally.
Though a few essential features will be added eventually(like support of the mobiles and maybe version for Xenko engine).
For now I am going to concentrate on better documentation & samples.

Link to the binary distribution: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.7.6.147/Myra.0.7.6.147.zip
NuGet had been updated as well.

Myra Project Site: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra

1 Like

Myra 0.8.0 is out.
The new version has following changes:

1. Support for the .Net Core. Now Myra can be used in conjunction with the MonoGame.Framework.DesktopGL.Core.
  2. Revamp of the Myra Project Site. Updated screenshots, added NuGet/AppVeyor badges and restructured the text.
  3. Fixes for #47 and #48.
  4. Refactoring of the input system events.

Link to the new binary release: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.0.154/Myra.0.8.0.154.zip

NuGet had been updated too.

3 Likes

Hi Roman…

I just tried out your latest version of your Myra-UI.

It seems that the Myra Editor keeps on crashing\closing no matter what option I select.

I went back to the version I am currently using and tested the editor out and everything worked fine doing the same tasks I attempted with the latest version.

If I may suggest; you should consider how you initiate a new project. In the version of Myra I am currently using, you left-double click on the project pane, which creates a base grid for the project and then select “New” from the drop-down menu in order to initialize a new project. At least that is the way I have been doing it.

From here you can begin building your interface by adding the individual components.

If you do the same exact set of tasks in your recent version of Myra, no base grid is created in the project pane. And if you attempt to add any available component, the application simply closes out.

My recommendation would be to have an option in the drop-down menu system that provides for “New Project”, will do all of the project initializations for you. This will be much more intuitive…

I am looking forward to upgrading my Myra SDK as soon as these apparent issues are fixed…

:relaxed:

Hi Steve,
There is major difference beetween new and old Myras - new Myra has many different containers: Grid, Panel, ScrollPane, SplitPane, Window, Dialog. Therefore I removed creation of the Grid as root container as a user may want to have, say, Dialog as root container.
Now root container is added to the project same way as any other widget:

Though now I see that adding root container isn’t intuitive. So I’ll add some kind of New Project Wizard that pop ups after pressing “New” button where one could select the root container type.
I’ve created corresponding issue: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/issues/51

Also as you can see from that animaged gif, I couldn’t reproduce crash as well.
Though I found another crash related to the “Reset Stylesheet” menu button.
Anyway in the next version UI Editor wouldn’t quietly close but show MessageBox with error text.
Again issue had been created: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/issues/52

Thanks for the feedback!

Roman…

I have figured out the use of your new Myra Editor but every time I try to save the project, the editor simply closes out.

In addition, I cannot export any generated C# code. What I have been able to export is simply a directory path…

:disappointed_relieved:

Myra 0.8.1 is out.
It contains multiple fixes and refactorings. Most notable update is addition of the new widget - RadioButton:

@SNaidamast
Another update is that now if it crashes, MessageBox with error text should show like this:

So I’d recommend trying out new version.
Which binary release is located here:
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.1.156/Myra.0.8.1.155.zip
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.1.156/Myra.0.8.1.156.zip
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.1.156/Myra.0.8.1.159.zip

NuGet had been updated too.

Perhaps depends on the operating system.
The editor well works at Win8.
On Win7 differently: on one computer it is closed in attempt of preservation or export, on another - it is not started.
I did preparation on Win8, then transferred and finished on Win7 manually, by code. It is not difficult to write everything the code.

Tried the new version on Win7:

System.IO.IOException: Устройство не готово.

в System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
в System.IO.DriveInfo.get_VolumeLabel()
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.File.FileDialog…ctor(FileDialogMode mode)
в Myra.UIEditor.Studio.Save(Boolean setFileName)
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.ListItem.FireSelected()
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Menu.ButtonOnClick(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.ButtonBase`1.OnTouchUp()
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Desktop.HandleButton(ButtonState buttonState, ButtonState lastState, MouseButtons buttons)
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Desktop.UpdateInput()
в Myra.Graphics2D.UI.Desktop.Render()
в Myra.UIEditor.Studio.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
в Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
в Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
в Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop()
в Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
в Myra.UIEditor.Program.Main()

I’ve win7 and it works ok.
Anyway, I’ve enclosed that DriveInfo.VolumeLabel section(which was mentioned in the exception stack trace) with try/catch and build the new version.
Could you try it?

Here’s link: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.1.156/Myra.0.8.1.156.zip
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/releases/download/0.8.1.156/Myra.0.8.1.159.zip

Now export works. The .xml file is normal.
Save works too, but files of .cs are not completed:
“Resources\ExportCSDesigner.cstemplate;System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089;utf-8”
There is no code of widgets in the text.

Thank you very much for the help.
I’ve managed to reproduce issue with export on my local env.
Corresponding ticket had been created: https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/issues/53

It would be fixed in the next version.

I have the latest version of the MyraUI Editor working. :relaxed:

However, I have to agree with the other poster who is still not finding any actual C# code generated with the export for the controls created.

Another point that should be taken into consideration and should at least be well documented. The properties provided for the grid in terms of the columns and rows are not labeled properly. To define the number of columns and rows the term parts is used such as with ColumnParts. This makes no sense coming from a professional development background. However, since these are existing properties in the API they should at least be provided with some documentation explaining that these properties are used to define the number of columns and rows that the grid will contain.

Again the terms for the properties that are applied to the controls, which determine where they will be placed in the grid are labeled with suffixes as X and Y. Again, from a professional point of view, this indicates pixels\points in a grid coordinate system or an absolute positioning system for controls on a form. Such terms should have been used with the more meaningful term of index. However, since these terms are already in the API, they should be clearly explained in documentation as to how they related to a cell within the grid.

It took me a while of tinkering with the MyraUI Editor to finally understand how these properties work and realize how necessary they are if one is going to set up a complex interface for the game or simulation.

BTW, I meant to ask… The Assets namespace has been dropped in the latest versions of MyraUI. However, objects in my code still require this namespace or a corresponding one.

Which one should be used to replace the Assets namespace?

1. Myra’s Grid is loosely based on WPF Grid. And latter has similar properties named ColumnDefinitions and RowDefinitions. Though I agree that GridPositionX/GridPositionY should be renamed GridPositionColumn/GridPositionRow. Or maybe even to Column/Row. Or maybe some simple mechanism of attached properties should be implemented. So setting a widget grid position would be same as in WPF:
  Grid.SetRow(widget, 0);
  Grid.SetColumn(widget, 2);

I also agree that Myra lacks documentation. Hopefully it’ll be fixed in future.
And yet Grid is somehow documented:
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/wiki/Widget
https://github.com/rds1983/Myra/wiki/Grid

1. Could you share exact code that requires Assets?
    Older Myra had AssetManager - alternative to the MonoGame Content Pipeline - which allowed to load direct assets. Its usage looks like following:
var texture = _assetManager.Get<Texture2D>("image.png");

You dont need Assets, unless you have above code somewhere.