Please introduce yourself

Hello , my name is Tanakhon Kaewkunha, 22 years old,
I just finished Information Engineer from a university in Thailand.

So , I’m so sorry for my bad at english when i ask some questions on topic.

I want to reply some one but i afraid to make people more confused.That is my fault.

I’m start coding when i 19 - 20 years old. My programming skill is not good but i really interest in GAME dev, I want to make my own game and i hope it will be a good game.

Btw .I have been working as Game Developer in some game company in Bangkok Thailand for just 2 weeks.
So many thing i don’t know. The company do not using monogame , they are using Unity3d and there own engine.

But i like MonoGame for first time i met. I don’t know why but … i just like it.
When i have free time i’am going to learn monogame.
I have been learning on Monogame for 2 months .

I have found Monogame Extended for a month ago. it seem easier dev.

I have try each demo by copy and paste. Some demo is worked but some is not. i dont know why.
Anyway, Is monogame.Extended on developing?
If is it ,i will follow until finish.

Finally, i’ll be glad, if some one make begining tutorial about using monogame.Extended.

I’m very happy when reading other developer story in here. It feel like i have friends who have the same dream

Nice to know you all.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi all

@Tanakhon_Kaewkunha No worries about your English, and please don’t apologies for it, it’s way better than my other languages (which I speak none of) and when we see your posts no matter where you’re from we will of course try to help, I’ve found this community very helpful and will try and return the favour where I can.

Anyway, onto me… Hmm… ok I’m an old fart, born in 1970 and first got into gaming in the late 70’s with Atari 2600 and then the Commodore 64, I then moved onto PC gaming in 86 and have been with PCs ever since - personally hate PS/Xbox, but that is for another time. I started developing / messing around with the C64.

Development - I got into what was know as Play By Mail industry back in the late 80’s through 90’s as a game developer/designer though nothing graphical - as the name says it’s by MAIL - so all paper based, but the games are multiplayer type games various types - our main one was a fantasy war game.

Moving forward to now - I’m a software developer for a large UK software house working on warehouse/supply software, by night I game. As I’m such an old fart now I feel my game development days are behind me as the younger people are so much more talented than I am in the new tech (I don’t even own a smart phone - no need for one) and porting monogame over to other platforms is at the moment beyond me.

I started looking at XNA last year, but then found monogame and signed up here, done some playing around with it but nothing much, redone the “flappy bird” game, and also one I called “Crazy Balls” - which was basically started out as a tutorial of bouncing a ball on the screen and moving it with cursor keys, I then added a couple of layers of scenery (trees in the foreground, mountains in the background) and floating things for the ball to pick up. I then “gave up” finding that after working all day, I couldn’t really be bothered at night, just prefer to play. Well, a few months later and I’m thinking about giving it another shot, found the Lidgren network library and been playing around with that, got a basic “console” game working with it so I’ve now come up with a basic game design to try and do for the fun of it - nothing to sell.

The game I’ve come up with is basically a tank shooting game (which I loved in the late 70s on the Atari - link below), but I’ve added some of my own twists to it, e.g. custom tank design, terrain features, and 2-4 players only (no AI). Hopefully doing this and using the Lidgren network library and using what I’ve already learned about monogame I can come up with something. Who knows.

Wow I’ve gone on way to long - so to sum up - HI all, great to meet you all, and what a great community this is - and thanks for all the help in the recent weeks with the questions I’ve had recently.

As for Monogame Extended - @craftworkgames - Great job on that, I’ve not really taken a big look at it, downloaded and viewed some of the demos, but due to lack of documentation or more detailed demos, I’m putting it on hold for now. I might take another look once I’ve done a game with the basic Monogame.

1 Like

Hey all,

My name’s Ben, and I’m a 24 year old consultant / software developer. I’ve been learning about so many different types of development since graduation - iOS, web dev, sitecore, hybrid apps…the list goes on. Since the day my folks bought me my first Gameboy, I’ve loved gaming. I’ve also loved the idea of game development, as I really love software dev, but I’ve never made it too far. My biggest achievement is publishing a game to the iOS app store that I developed by myself. I’ve also tinkered around with Unity, Unreal, and SFML to create goofy little games or create cool environments.

After purchasing and playing Stardew Valley recently, I became so inspired by how its creator managed to create something so beautiful all by himself. Now I do have a full time job, so I won’t have nearly as much time to devote to game dev as ConcernedApe did - but it made me want to give this another shot, and got me really excited about it. I researched the toolset he used, and learned about XNA, which lead me here.

For the last 2 weeks, I came up with an idea with a friend of mine that I’m super excited about, and MonoGame Extended has come surprisingly naturally to me. I’ve been able to get Tiled maps working, collisions, and have coded some pretty well fleshed-out animations and movement. I’m stoked.

Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for the awesome work you’re putting into this library. It rocks, and I’m looking forward to hopefully contributing to this awesome community!

-Ben

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Nate Howard and I’m a software engineeer in MInnesota, USA

I have a C++ background and I created www.stickknightsonline.com (Stick Knights Online is a 2d platformer orpg for windows and it used to be on linux but development has kinda stopped these days)

I use C# .NET nowadays so I thought MonoGame was a good fit. MonoGame.Extended is looking very appealing to me and I want to make it my goal to help with documentation.

I am going to make a game with MonoGame (first day of trying it out has been AWESOME!)

Well, I’m late to this thread, but better ever than never.

My name is Josip Matić and I’m 25 years old student of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing in Zagreb, Croatia. Since youth I had a passion for video games and saw video game development as my “dream work”, so I looked to start learning as soon as I could.

I’ve started about 10 years ago with… WarCraft 3’s World Editor, actually, by creating my own heroes, units, spells and maps. Then I learned of QBASIC and started with programming there, switching later to VB.NET and XNA Framework, doing minor games as a mean of practice. Few years later I switched to C# and sticked with it and XNA, until half year ago when I tried to make a switch to C++ and cocos2d-x; however, I didn’t like the framework and felt too restricted to it, so I returned back to C#, but this time Monogame.

I stumbled upon Monogame.Extended here on Monogame Community after @craftworkgames mentioned in one thread he’d been working on GUI; after checking out the list of features, I though it’s perfect replacement for my own crappy code as I implemented a lot of things (like sprites and screen management) myself. Initial testing of features left a massive impression on me, so I decided to give it a go with not only using, but contributing as well.

Currently, I have one active project - a turn-based strategy RPG (like Fire Emblem) in collaboration with few friends. Right now, it’s still in very early development, so no screenshots.
Besides that, I had various games whose development kinda phased out halfway through (at the point of massive debugging and graphical updates, with the former being frustrating and latter not being my area), of which most notable are a rework of NES game Battle City and a simplistic get-to-the-end arcade game, both which could use a good rewrite with Monogame and Monogame.Extended.

I hope I’ll be able to contribute, as compared to many others here, I’m still a newbie when it comes to programming despite working with C# for 6 years.

1 Like

Late to the party. I stumbled over MonoGame.Extended last year some time and have played around with it for months. Lately I’ve got back to get some new games going with MonoGame and want to heavily invest in the Extended library just because I fully believe and support this type of thing.

I’m Bil Simser and a software architect and developer with a utility company in Alberta and have been programming for 30+ years. Over that time I’ve worked on some commercial games, commercial game tools (The Sims, Doom/Quake, Railroad Tycoon II, Mageslayer, Blood, etc.) and written my own games and apps (that are collecting dust in the various app stores). Back in the DirectX days I worked and managed a DX wrapper we called CDX (which resulted in writing a book about it). The wrapper was very much like MonoGame.Extended (although written in C++) that provided a bunch of utility classes to hide all the nasty DirectX crap (CDXSprite, CDXScreen, etc.) and let developers focus on games and not frameworks.

Besides the various games and apps I have out there I probably have 100+ projects sitting on the hard drive. I love the old school games like Ultima, Wizardry, and all those arcade games, growing up with them, and I’m always looking to build yet-another-8bit-retro-clone game for fun. I once built a game (not released) using my CDX library called SlugMan which was for Bill Amend’s Foxtrot comic. This was based on Joust (which was based on the original public domain Glypha II code) I created for the Windows platform. Yet another project that has yet to see the light of day.

Anyway I’m happy that this project exists and hopefully will amp up my participation. At least I can contribute more documentation as I’m going through things building out my latest game (that may never get released) and finding all kinds of things that should be shared.

Happy game programming everyone!

2 Likes

Hi! Documentation would be appreciated!

I’ve been considering trying it out, but I’m unsure of all the basic things like pros and cons, how to interact with it, demands and limitations, what the learning time investment is… All those considerations that are hard to gauge from the outside.

I guess its a compliment to monogame, that I have a hard time imagining or even understanding what could be missing in vanilla :slight_smile:

Hey @monopalle

I completely understand that documentation is an issue. Writing good documentation is not easy, it’s actually quite a lot of work.

However, we do already have quite a community around MonoGame.Extended.

You can definitely create great games with vanilla MonoGame. No doubt.

Some of the reasons people use MonoGame.Extended include:

If you don’t want to use it as a library, just have a poke through the code. You’ll probably find something you can use in your games. After all, we’re all just here to make great games! :smile:

3 Likes

Hi Guys, I am just starting out with Monogame and I must say this is exciting.

I have spent about the last decade using a procedural basic language for game design. This was a lot of fun and I made some interesting studies(but no finished games:cry:) recently a friend of my began showing me C# and being a professional programmer, he was able to help me bridge the gap between proceedural and object oriented programming. after a few months playing with C# I really do not want to go back to basic. the thing I liked about Darkbasic was the ease with which you can create a project, I am searching for the same thing but within the C# environment. I found Monogame and it seems promising. I still have a learning curve ahead of me but I am up for it. It is nice to see there is a community here supporting users and sharing and helping. I think I am going to like it here. Anyway, this is me. Nice to eventually chat with you all.
Kieran.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Just starting out using MonoGame. Already caught myself writing some basic boilerplate code and thinking: there should be some kind of extension for this. That’s when I stumbled upon MonoGame.Extended. So far it’s really intuïtive, I like that!

Great initiative. Once I’m a bit comfortable using both MonoGame and .Extended I really want to help out.

See you guys around!

Hi, I’m starting to use Monogame.Extended and it seems really a good idea but I’m stuck on some problems and without a documentation I’m not able to solve them.
I tried to use extended to read Tiled maps. I’m using the latest NuGet package I found (0.5.149).
I looked the demo tiled maps but some things are a little different. Can’t find the TiledMapRenderer class, neither define the “using MonoGame.Extended.Tiled.Graphics” because “Graphics” is not found. So it all becomes a little “guess who?” game :stuck_out_tongue:
I tried to look for some other hints on how to load tiled maps with monogame.extended but none that worked, so maybe it’s better to ask for help :slight_smile:

Hello @cero,

The “latest” NuGet package is actually on @craftworkgames’s server. You can follow this tutorial here on how to access it through Visual Studio or the like. You will notice that there are two NuGet packages required for Tiled maps; MonoGame.Extended and MonoGame.Extended.Tiled.
The best documentation right now is to follow the demos by example, which there is one for Tiled Maps.

Cheers.

Hi I just discovered Monogame.Extended and so far I’m definitely impressed. I just started learning Monogame a couple of months ago through coursera and so far I like the way it works a lot. I’m planning on making a game with a friend who is an animation major. I’m a senior in a CS degree so it seems like making a game was meant to be. I was working on building a few of my own custom components in Monogame but was pretty daunted by tile maps until I found this framework. I love what is going on here and I’ll do my best to support through whatever code/documentation that I can provide. Also I checked out your patreon page and I’m now a patron. :slight_smile: Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hey everyone, I’ve been a hobbyist programmer, game creator for years. My first game was on a Commodore 64 back in 1983. The player was a shark that ate swimmers using ASCII “graphics”. Later in 1990 I got an Amiga 500 and that was when things got real. I started
using XNA back in 2012. I have since than switched to C++ and SFML/SDL2.
Now I find out about MonoGame and I’m back to making games using C#.
I plan on remaking my Base Defense game using Voxels as soon as I feel that I’ve learned
Monogame good enough. I’ll be using the engine I make from remaking arcade games.
This is my page here. http://lancejz.github.io/

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m a professional programmer, and game development is my hobby.
I’m currently trying to get into XNA/MonoGame, as some of my favorite indie games (e.g. Stardew Valley, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion) were created by this piece of software.
XNA being a fairly low level library, I took interest in MonoGame.Extended. It seems super useful, I’m sure I will use it, but I don’t have anything to show yet.
Prepare for my questions :slight_smile:
Greetings

2 Likes

Hey!

I mostly do a lot of VHDL and low level C programming by trade, but I end up doing a lot of programming projects in my spare time. I’ve used Monogame in the past (circa 2014) for a few projects, and came back to it recently. Currently working on the basis for a turn based tactical game as a hobby project. I’ve already got a bit of help from the glitter chat, so thanks to everyone in there! Extended has already saved me a ton of time getting things set up. =D

1 Like

Hi!

My actual name is a bit long (and even more so on the last name :)), just call me “Noom” or by the user name. I used to work in a game company a long time ago, here in Thailand (I saw one Thai up above :). Hello! ). Now I’m working in a branch of a financial data service company whose has HQ in KC. Mostly I do C++ at work.

I have switched between languages, frameworks, libraries, etc before landed at MonoGame last year, as it provides the best cross-platform development experience comparing to others. I’m working on a Visual Novel game which I decided to do everything by myself (stupid, right ?).

I’m currently trying to wrap my head around the MonoGame.Extended.Gui stuffs. With so little document it’s quite difficult. If you can provide some basic concepts behind the UI, it would be great.

Thanks for your effort!

Hiya!

I’m a 27 year old French Canadian who’s often interested in learning. I’m learning C#, which is my first programming language. I am rather new to it (since last year) and am tinkering around with MonoGame as a way to adapt more to programming as a whole~

I met computers when I was 17 in 1992. It was Sinclair Spectrum 48Kb. Yes, only 48 kilobytes. I was playing games then. I wrote ( I mean copied down from the book) the first codes then. The language was Basic. After a year it wasbroken and my second computer came in 1999. I began to learn Visual Basic myself, and bought some books to learn it better. Then after 2003, life again seperated me from computers. Now, again, after many many years, I bougt myself a computer 6 months ago and began to learn the language C, then C++. Because I wanted to create something new, especially some games, I searched for SDKs. There I met Monogame and C#. Reading pdf books, asking at forums and watching videos, I continue learning . Its really endless, and I feel bad about graduating from physics department at univercity still. It should be computer programming.
So , coding is not my job. It is just a hobby now . Whenever I have time I open monogame and continue my games.

Hello All,

I am a 35 years old computer programmer living in El Salvador, Central America, I have a full-time job as Windows and Web Applications programmer, but I always had the desire to create my own video games, I started to program in Visual Basic 6, then I moved to .NET, FoxPro, PHP, JavaScript.

Some time ago I heard about XNA and I was fascinated, but I didn’t have enough time to learn it. Some years later searching in google I found that the framework was discontinued (that was sad) but to my surprise there was a new framework based on XNA, so I discovered Monogame, now I am learning this framework and I am amazed at the vibrant community and by all the games that have been made with it, I hope to learn a lot from the most experienced members of the community and start making my dreams come true.

Thanks