Raw Ogg and m4a files loading

Hi!

Is there an easy way to load raw .ogg and/or .m4a files directly into a soundeffect, or do I need to create my own reader and load them as stream?
The xnb output file’s size is ridicuously big, so just like in the case of raw .png I do not want to use the content pipeline here.
PC-only, so maybe .m4a is not an option as this is an iOS audio file, but who knows. :slight_smile:

SoundEffect supports PCM and ADPCM only. The XNB for a SoundEffect by default contains 16-bit PCM data. The Compression Quality processor property directly affects the size of the sound effect. By choosing a lower Compression Quality, this will lower the sample rate and use ADPCM, a compressed 4-bit WAV format.

Compression such as M4A and Vorbis are used for streaming audio only (songs), and use the OS-provided decoders and playback where possible. M4A is not an iOS-only format. It is MPEG-4 Audio, and we use it for streaming songs on iOS and Android.

Well, yesterday I tried to create different xnb files based on the quality setting and for the 3mb big .Ogg I always received a 32mb big xnb.

There are other reasons why I do not want to use xnb, but those are not important for now. I will continue my searching for an .Ogg loader mechanism. :slight_smile:

We have Vorbis playback code in the DesktopGL version of MonoGame, so the code is already there in the Github repo.