Releasing game documentation?

Hey,

My game is getting closer to be beta released and I am wondering if there is release documentation? Like a checklist or something? I don’t plan at this time to release it on Steam but it will be a feature release platform. Xbox not at this time either.

I’ve got questions like.

1. From my understanding, I can’t release a game using Community version of Visual Studios. I need to purchase a copy. Right?
  2. Is there a recommended way to package it up?
  3. Should I package DirectX versions?
    etc…

Thanks

VS Community. From their terms:

Individual license. If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications

Maybe look it up again on microsoft site, but as I guess you are an individual, you’ll ok with Community Edition.

1 Like

You forgot your I.A.N.A.L statement

hehe - I was just quoting and guessing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I swear though I remember reading that “develop and test” is not the same as “production release”. I know some of you all have released games.

Yeah, the wording is a bit daft, the second half could have been placed as part of the first half for clarity.

But, having said I.A.N.A.L a few times, as far as I am aware, you as an individual can use it to build and sell apps, however, as a team, you must upgrade to a purchased service plan.

Well - I am not a Lawyer - but if there would be such a restriction I would believe it would’ve been mentioned explicitly in the licence and MS would not let that be a subject of guessing.

refering: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1b1c53c3-e7ba-4b45-8654-3c89f72cb52b/questions-about-visual-studio-community?forum=visualstudiogeneral

If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.

as a team you can still use it as long as you are not considered an “enterprise” … but the licence is actually pretty clear about that definition and what usage is allowed even for enterprises (open source, drivers for win, plugins for VS etc) - even there they don’t state any difference in “develop & testing” and acutally releasing something

1 Like