[SOLVED] FreeImage.dll not found

A workaround is only a TEMPORARY solution till a proper solution is found. Why on earth build a new Monogame version unless these errors are ironed out in the first place?

For me it helped to install Visual C++ Redistributable 2013, although i use visual studio 2013

Same here. I just recently ran into this problem, and installing the 2013 Redistributable fixed it. I’m using Visual Studio 2017 Community.

This worked for me on Windows 8.1 x64 using Visual Studio Community 2017. Thank you so much!

I’m curious if the root cause of this issue was ever discovered? I’m currently running into this same error when building. I’m hoping to avoid the redist installation workaround, as everyone on my team would have to do this same workaround. I’ve done some work trying to ensure there are no build dependencies for our project aside from a Visual Studio install and syncing to our perforce depot, but have not been able to find a systemic fix for this error.

Ah actually scratch that… looks like it may be an open issue.

Looks like there are plans to update FreeImage to link against static libraries and remove the dependencies on the DLLs it is looking for in the redist download. But for now the redist (or optional SDK installs) are the best fix available.

@kgambill I think I just found the issue, I had x86 and x64 c++ redistrbutable packs installed on my machine, once I removed the x86 versions, build started working correctly.

1 Like