[Solved]MonoGame does not recognize my gamepad

Sorry if this is a basic question.

I am learning MonoGame and trying to connect my gamepad (Elecom JC-U4113SBK) which has XInput mode, but GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).IsConnected always returns false, so I can’t use the gamepad.

However, weird or not, I can connect my gamepad with XInput.Wrapper. So I think it is doing fine as a XInput gamepad…

Does MonoGame only detect Xbox 360 controller like this down below or should it detect all the XInput gamepads? Some advice on it is very much appreciated.

I could use XInput for input and MonoGame for the rest, but it doesn’t feel quite natural to me.

I am using MonoGame v3.6. Thank you!

If I remember correctly, Windows Project only supports XInput controllers.
You can create Cross Platform Desktop Project (also known as DesktopGL) which should work with most controllers, but usage is slightly different. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, my gamepad worked just fine on Cross Platform Desktop Project!

Although I am not sure why my gamepad didn’t work on Windows Project since it says XInput mode available (and I’m in that mode), at least I found the way to work around (maybe it is not really a “XInput Controller”…).

Anway, thank you very much for the information!

No problem, glad you got it working :slight_smile:

Pressing the [Start] button on the controller while the Monogame project was running fixed the issue for me.

I had the same condition of the XBOX USB controller showing IsConnected = false (Monogame Cross Platform Desktop Project) and was also frustrated by the condition. In testing, while the game was running, I pressed the [Start] button on the gamepad and the gamepad showed IsConnected = true. Subsequent restarts of Visual Studio and the game did not require pressing the [Start] button.

The controller showed connected and responsive in Windows and inactive in the Monogame project prior to pressing [Start] button on the controller.

TESTING CODE:
connected = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).IsConnected;
pressedBack = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).Buttons.Back == ButtonState.Pressed;
padState = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One);
if (connected)
{
message = “Connected”;
}
else
{
message = “Not connected”;
}
if (pressedBack)
{
message = message + “\npressedBack”;