[SOLVED] Problems loading sound in new 3.6 version...

After doing basically nothing but upgrading to 3.6, the PC version works fine. But my OSX version now fails when it loads sound effects.

_manager.Load(“SoundEffect”);

The failure is pretty vague. It just says “malloc” error.

A search here reveals that people fixed this problem by switching from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version of Mono.

I’m confused by this solution as there appears to be only one install package for Mono.

Can you not set the export/compile variant?

In Visual Studio we can set ARM, x86 and x64 compilation; perhaps that is where you need to make this change in your IDE?

Playing with these does not appear to do anything.

Derp. Spoke too soon.

Yes I am just that dumb. Apparently, something pulled down from the PC version was not set to x64.

Are you using Xamarin Studio on Mac OS? I´m not able to set anything to x64. In the options there is just x86?
Where did you set it?

Thanks,

Harry

I have both Xamarin Studio and the Visual Studio (beta) which are roughly the same.

So, you’ll want to set it on the Project Options/Compiler page under “Platform Target”. No other setting appears to matter.

Yes, the whole configuration manager thing in Xamarin Studio doesn’t seem to work like I’d expect it. I struggled mightily with it. I think it may even be buggy as some settings don’t seem to save.

I also discovered that if you’re using the old Xamarin.Mac.Classic project to build a package it will no longer work. You’ll need the newer one now to get the 64-bit packaging.

thanks a lot. I should go and get some glasses I think. I never saw “Platform target”. But there it is.
Now music is working but soundeffects not yet (but I´ll figure that out).
I was also happy that Visual Studio is available but it has nothing to do with it except the name itself. So lets hope for the best.

Thanks,

Harry

Have you managed to get sound effects to work? I couldn’t make it happen with Mono 4.8.0 (which only comes in 32-bit). Works well with Mono 5.0.0 64bit binary, which came when installing Visual Studio for Mac beta.