(SOLVED) Won't update parts of game window that are outside of Monitor bounds

Hi. I got an issue with parts of my game window not updating if I’ve dragged it outside my monitor’s screen bounds and keep holding in the LMB. It resumes updating when I release the LMB. Is this a known issue w/ a standard solution or am I the one causing this bug? Thanks.

“Feature”.

No, I joke. When the window is moving about, the game stops running. That’s about it.

I’m sure it’d be interesting to view the code on GitHub, and see what’s actually going on, though.

I’m just wondering why and what kind of code needs to be implemented to prevent it from happening, that’s all. I thought it might be some simple GraphicsDevice or forms method or similar (like, say .TopMost() for instance), but I guess it’s more complicated than that.

I don’t think there is much you can do.

Look at this:

It happens with a triple A game.

I don’t think it’s a problem too be honest - you might just be overthinking here.

1 Like

The Windows message pump behaves differently when the window is being dragged around because the drag operation is modal. You have to write extra code to try to work-around it, but it makes the window move or resize far less efficient because the redrawing is happening.

1 Like

Thanks, I honestly had no idea this was a common problem. Or maybe I’ve seen it on rare occasion but never noticed because I wasn’t paying attention from a dev perspective. I guess it’s not a problem I have to waste time on then, cause players are gonna be busy in the game anyways.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it. :slight_smile: