Some Beginner Setup Questions

Hey there. I’m trying to set up a MonoGame project for the first time. It seems like this was a pretty simple task at one time, but I’m guessing with the community having advanced past the setup for so long has probably caused some drifting away from that. I mean, even the main documentation shows the setup process in VS2015.

Anyway, I’ve downloaded VS 2019 (the only VS that I can download without registering for some new dev service on Microsoft). As seems to be a fairly repeated question around here, I need the Monogame template. Plenty of people say you can copy it from VS2017, which of course assumes you have that (which I don’t). I’ve got the link to the github page that theoretically structures it correctly, but it’s 2 years old, and doesn’t even seem to get recognized by VS2019 when I put it in the ProjectTemplates folder. Shortly put, none of those tickets help my situation.

I know that this can be done without a template, but all of the tutorials online start with a template. Furthermore, I have yet to find any walk-through of starting it up without a template. Thus, also preventing me from moving forward.

I know this question has been asked a lot, so it’s probably mutually frustrating to hear it, but short of asking here my only real option is find an alternative; and given what I’ve seen from tutorials, I very much like how this library works and would like to use it.

To the point, can someone please walk me through setting up MonoGame on VS2019. Please, PLEASE not a link to a deprecated setup, not links to tickets that answer half of my question but leave me without any way to make progress… I need an up-to-date, step-by-step installation process for MonoGame that sadly seems to have been ignored for years now.

1 Like

As an update, I downloaded VS2017, and apparently the templates aren’t showing up there either. Even though they are in the ProjectTemplates/Visual C#/MonoGame directory as .zip files.

[[Solved]]

For anyone that stumbles across this, the issue that eventually resolved it for me was ensuring the full C# desktop utilities were installed before the templates would show up. Makes sense, but something easily overlooked if you haven’t worked in MonoGame before.

3 Likes

Well, I did put together the most comprehensive guide to it, perhaps someone should link to it on the documents pages… :smirk:

Links at the end of the post [not the thread but the first post] should help you out, if you look at my user profile, you can find a bunch of other useful topics relevant to your situation.

Happy Coding! and welcome to the forums!

EDIT

Click my name in this post, then click my name again, and then select topics on the left [On Desktop]