TiledMap Texture Bleeding

Using the tool Tiled and importing + drawing it with MonoGame.Extended.Tiled Everything works like a charm. But as soon as I adjust the view matrix, the tiles start to bleed. (Gap between the tiles)

The view matrix depends on two values:

• Position of the camera (Integer for pixel placement)
  • Scale (For res. independent rendering)

I develop the game on one resolution (virtual) and just up/downscale the whole matrix. Thus, I don’t need to adjust the game to several resolutions nor play with DPI stuff.

This is how I calculate the view and proj matrix.

//Get the "local" scale. This scalation depends on the virtual and actual resolution ratio.
    float localScaleX = ScreenWidth / VirtualWidth;
    float localScaleY = ScreenHeight / VirtualHeight;

//Don't use float position values. Only int for exact PX coordinates on the screen.
    Vector2 position = new Vector2((int)TransformationComponent.Position.X,
        (int)TransformationComponent.Position.Y);

//If the position changes, a matrix adjustment is required.
    ViewMatrix = Matrix.CreateTranslation(new Vector3(-position, 0.0f)) *
        Matrix.CreateTranslation(new Vector3(-Origin, 0.0f)) *
        Matrix.CreateRotationZ(TransformationComponent.Rotation) *
        Matrix.CreateScale(localScaleX * ScaleX, localScaleY * ScaleY, 1f) *
        Matrix.CreateTranslation(new Vector3(Origin, 0.0f));

//The projectMatrix also depends on scale and resolution properties.
    ProjectionMatrix = Matrix.CreateOrthographicOffCenter(0, ScreenWidth, ScreenHeight, 0, 0, 1f);

This is how I draw the map

MapRenderer.Draw(Map, CameraComponent.ViewMatrix, CameraComponent.ProjectionMatrix, ShaderComponent?.Shader ?? null, 0);

If I change the Windows size (thus the scalation changes) the texture bleeding does appear or disapear. (Some scaling factors are nice, some are not) I did try to round the Scale to 4,3,2 or even 1 comma digit. But still, the bleeding is existant.

Is there anything I am missing?
Thanks for your effort and time :slight_smile:

Setting Graphics.SamplerState to SamplerState.PointClamp before drawing the map did the trick!

1 Like