šŸ”— Useful MonoGame Related Links U-MG-RL

Get on it asap, or you might find your return window closes

No need of steam with steam.
If you need Steam, use SteamWorks. If not, use this:

Why do I see ā€œSteamā€ everywhere?
The main interface class is named SteamNetworkingSockets, and many files have ā€œsteamā€ in their name. But Steam is not needed. If you donā€™t make games or arenā€™t on Steam, feel free to use this code for whatever purpose you want.

The reason for ā€œSteamā€ in the names is that this provides a subset of the functionality of the API with the same name in the Steamworks SDK. Our main reason for releasing this code is so that developers wonā€™t have any hesitation coding to the API in the Steamworks SDK. On Steam, you will link against the Steamworks version, and you can get the additional features there (access to the relay network). And on other platformss, you can use this version, which has the same names for everything, the same semantics, the same behavioural quirks. We want you to take maximum advantage of the features in the Steamworks version, and that wonā€™t happen if the Steam code is a weird ā€œwartā€ thatā€™s hidden behind #ifdef STEAM.

The desire to match the Steamworks SDK also explains a somewhat anachronistic coding style and weird directory layout. This project is kept in sync with the Steam code here at Valve. When we extracted the code from the much larger codebase, we had to do some relatively gross hackery. The files in folders named tier0, tier1, vstdlib, common, etc have especially suffered trauma. Also if you see code that appears to have unnecessary layers of abstraction, itā€™s probably because those layers are needed to support relayed connection types or some part of the Steamworks SDK.

So the code has some style issues that some people probably wonā€™t like, but it does have the advantage of being battle tested over several years and millions of customers. We aim to make this lib a solid transport library and we hope people will use it to ship their games on non-Steam platforms. If there is something about this code that makes it awkward to use, or if it doesnā€™t work properly or you see a security or performance issue, please let us know.

GDC 2018 Interview: Xbox Creatorā€™s Program And Indie Games

[GAME DESIGN]
ā€œA collection of design documentation from the development of The Sims from Electronic Arts and Maxis, dating back to 1997ā€
https://www.gamedev.net/articles/game-design/game-design-and-theory/the-sims-design-docs-r4727/

ā€œā€Developer program overviewā€ā€

1 Like

3 Advantages to Relying on Open Source for Game Development

Not exactly MG related however, it does help newcomers better understand the platform it is built upon, somewhatā€¦

The Good and the Bad of .NET Framework Programming

https://hackernoon.com/the-good-and-the-bad-of-net-framework-programming-6e3b5ccc03

EDIT

I should point out:
A) stupid domain name
B) I disagree with most of the negatives [But then I am biased somewhat lol]
C) Forgot what C wasā€¦

Some random 2.5D related links I posted on a topic recently

XBOX Dev?

1 Like

Heads up

Not MG related entirely but useful nonethelessā€¦

Unsure if posted this already but it popped up as being updated two hours prior to me posting this here, so yay! it looks so good there!

Mention at:
19:32

You can also just read the transcriptā€¦

New mentions this week:

[A horrible blog site, Why on earth would your post title link back to the same damn page?]
MG 3.7 release relatedā€¦ [Because I couldnā€™t copy the title, lazy? maybe, but I am doing this for freeā€¦]
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2018/09/24/MonoGame-37-Released.aspx

And another about the VITA side of MGā€¦
Timespinner Vita Issues Acknowledged During Reddit AMA

In case I forgot to post this here:

Linking this in case it ever gets lost in future

Something handy for the community I supposeā€¦

I have watched this a few times now [well watched once, listened a few times]

May give some of you some fresh ideasā€¦

Though not MG related, I feel it is something that deserves to be included here:

They have a few others including Doom and Quake relatedā€¦ worth looking atā€¦

EDIT

Hereā€™s another one

1 Like