Using MonoGame for an open-world game?

Greetings,

I am learning to use MonoGame for 3D game development, and the only thing I can say is that it’s a really amazing framework. So amazing in fact that it seems like there is nothing that it cannot do. However, so far I have only tried using MonoGame for really small games, with very simple engines, not a lot of content, and really small areas to render.

What I would like to know is whether anyone has ever attempted creating an open-world game using the framework?

Of course I am not talking about anything as large as commercial open-world games, because I don’t have the time and budget for that sort of thing, but something just large enough to try experimenting with stuff like frustum culling, tesselation, LOD etc. Can you think of any limitations that MonoGame has that would prevent me from doing so?

I agree, it really feels like one can do anything - good luck!

I don’t know how well loading objects on-the-fly works, I don’t know if it’s a problem with stalling the main thread.

Apart from that, at least from a graphics standpoint, there should be noted that Compute and Geometry shader aren’t supported, which is something that some games today use. But these are just possible helpers to outsource some CPU work to the GPU and by no means required.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I read up a bit on compute and geometry shader, since I was not familiar with it before. It does seem like a handy feature (from what I see Unity utilises it), but maybe I’ll be able to do without it.

I’ll slap together some assets, a larger map and do some tests in the coming weeks, see what comes of it.

There is the flight sim someone made, that looks like a big world, if that is what you mean. There is video on youtube.

Thank you, although after watching some videos of the game on youtube, this is not really what I had in mind.

The map in the flight simulator is large, but completely flat, and the only actual models loaded there are the planes themselves. Therefore absolutely no use for tesselation or frustum culling there. I think the game only utilises simple plane clipping and that’s it.