Vector Ball - International Re-Colored Edition!

I don’t think so? Unless you specify that behaviour.

If OpenAL just does this all the time, Sounds like a job for exception handling :slight_smile:

Tried this already, and it didn’t fix it :frowning:

I haven’t. I’ll try Grinder and see if that works

1 Like

I tried Grinder and it works fine (it’s pretty slow on my machine though) and Vector Ball is also working now. I just did a reboot, so it might be because the OpenAL install needed that…

Cant wait to hear if the reboot helps…

About Grinder:
Others have reported the choppy-issue with grinder… Its pretty graphics intensive, atm.
So I have a LITE version of it, that cuts the cloud system and the backgrounds. It reportedly runs smoothly on laptops. I am considering an interface to toggle this from the menu, but until then, here’s the download for Grinder LITE…

-dont forget to uninstall the old one.

I mean both worked, but after I reboot my system.

wow, so you have sound in vector ball now…?

Yup, I guess the OpenAL install did the trick after all

friggin awesome… Hope you enjoy the game from here! - And please share any thoughts on the game afterwards, I’d love to hear how it plays, thoughts on difficulty(speed, drop rate)…

1 Like

I really like the game, very nice take on the break-out! :slight_smile: Especially the ice and rain level and other creative ones like the clock and the boat! I thought there would be a level of the start screen at the end though :stuck_out_tongue:

Something that bothers me occasionally is the visibility of the ball. Sometimes it’s really hard to see were the ball is, which is really frustrating. In level 2 (there’s really a lot of bloom there, not sure if that’s intentional) as well as the ice and rain levels this is pretty annoying. I don’t think that’s a ‘fair’ way to make the game harder. This takes away some of the fun for me.

I’ve had two actual issues as well: In level 4 I think the background is drawn on top of the paddle, ball and blocks, because I only see the background and hit effects/powerups. In the level with the moving blocks, they really glitch out, just flickering everywhere (not just drawing, collision too).

Welp, looks like that’s more critique than compliment, so I hope you don’t get the wrong impression. I really like it :slight_smile: Would be neat to have this on mobile!

Thanks a lot!
Really nice to have my game out there, and even get some feed-back…

It has to do with comma (,) and period (.)

See, the game stores data (like settings and levels and lights) in TXT files…

But whether or not the string parser expects a comma or a period for decimal point cymbol, is I THINK based on your system settings… FOR SOME REASON… :frowning:

This means you get values in your game that are GLITCHY…

What you are seeing is NOT the real game :slight_smile:

Yeah, try to CHANGE your decimal cymbal… It takes a second to do under language settings down in the clock corner… -from comma, to period.

Not a bug in MG though. Have a look at this link, you’ll want to pass a culture to Parse.

I see… The parser is by default culture sensitive… But there are ways to account for that. Got it!
Corrected my post above.

-What if you click your settings over real quick, does that magically fix things…? Because then all I have to do is re-write the parsing bits, behind the scenes…

It’s now a comma. I just changed it to a dot and started vector ball, but the game doesn’t start up anymore… It doesn’t throw an error or anything, just a silent crash. Changing it back makes the game launch again.

haha, the issues… Always the issues… Ok, so I will remake the loading system… And re post… Thanks for all your awesome help. I’m glad to find these little bugs…

Yeah, that tends to happen :stuck_out_tongue: Glad I can help!

you wont believe this …

So, I changed my code to use Single.Parse…

Turns out not to fix the issue, its still culture dependent to some degree…

However, you CAN actually fix it with a windows-culture tweak…

You just have to BOTH set the decimal system to period, AND set the digit grouping symbol to comma… Then you wont get the silent crash.

Let me know if you try this, I really think it might solve the issue… :slight_smile:

You should pass a culture to make it culture invariant.

float.Parse(floatString, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

Setting the grouping symbol to comma as well did the trick though :slight_smile:

I tried to confirm the problem with OpenAL, so I uninstalled it, rebooted and launched the game and it didn’t work as expected. I then reinstalled it, rebooted my laptop and launched the game, but it’s now crashing again when I hover over the menu buttons :frowning:

The first issue I had is not with OpenAL but with the culture as well it seems. The installer changed the settings to use a comma instead of a dot as a seperator, maybe it looks at local culture? So changing the volume in game writes the value with the correct separator in the settings file and fixed the issue.

With the right parsing the game feels and looks a lot better! Visibility is still a bit annoying in some levels, but very nicely done overall :slight_smile:

I might be on the wrong track how you are doing things, but perhaps you could store the volume in the .txt file as 0-100 representing percent.

Then in code divide by 100 to get a float 0.0-1.0

Avoiding the issue is not the correct way to go about it.

Always use CultureInfo.InvariantCulture when writing and reading configuration or data files as text.