With MonoMac getting canned does it mean a Xamarin.Mac license will be required even for testing?

The Xamarin.Mac license is a whopping $1000/yr. I’d love to not have to pay for it until I am ready to release. Is it indeed correct that we wont even be able to to Mac test development without a license?

Do you have a reference for MonoMac being canned?

I don’t know what the state of MG will be regarding MonoMac/Xamarin.Mac, but you will still be able to develop for free for Mac with DesktopGL platform.

The story of MonoMac is that it is not being updated any more by Xamarin. It is stuck in 32-bit and does not have support for all OS X APIs. In order to upload apps to the Mac App Store, they need to be built with Xamarin.Mac using the Universal API.

Protobuild will still build projects for MonoMac if you have MonoMac installed and not Xamarin.Mac, though I cannot say how much longer we can support both. The whole Mac story is a bit messy with MonoMac, Xamarin.Mac and Universal apps. I don’t build Mac very often (last time was about a year ago), so someone may correct me on some things.

I think a Mac subscription may have been on offer when Xamarin were offering free licences to indie game devs. Worth checking out…

I’ve been chatting with Xamarin sales the last couple days. Mac was not part of the free license deal and they currently only offer yearly indie subscriptions for Mac.

Ah, bummer. My bad. $1000 is harsh. I haven’t made back my iOS / Android subs yet either.

I understand $1000 is a lot for some indies. You have to put pressure on Xamarin about that price point. Email them, tweet them, blog about it… if you don’t tell them your problem they can’t fix it

Other than that I think you have to look at it like either an investment in your business or the cost of your hobby.

I got the free indie licence offer and it basically is a years subscription to the Business plan which includes the ability to build apps for BOTH Android and iOS.

The offer is still open until 31st December so if you have built a game in the past you can still apply.

So this problem is now solved for everyone:

https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-for-all/

Do you still need a Macintosh computer to compile your apps/games for a Mac?

MG 3.5 has a Windows/Linux/Mac “Universal PC” app option. Can you build that on Windows 7/10 and it works everywhere?

Yup, if you use DesktopGL you can compile from 1 desktop OS, and it will work on the remaining 2 :slight_smile: