XXX.exe is not a valid Win32 application

I’ve got a game on Steam using MonoGame and one of the users with Windows XP 32 bit is getting the error “XXX.exe is not a valid Win32 application”.Has anyone else ran into this? I’m using MonoGame Version 3.5.1.1679. In the Configuration Properties, I have the Platform set as x86 (which is my only options actually) and am building with Visual Studio 2015.

I realize this may not actually be a MonoGame issue but rather a Visual Studio build issue but I thought some of you that are writing games that support Windows XP may know. I unfortunately no longer even have a Windows XP computer to test with (and will probably quit saying I support Windows XP/Vista on future releases).

XNA 4.0 Refresh can be ran on Windows XP. I think MonoGame is Windows Vista or 7 and above?

Might need a “Service Pack” or three. And a graphics card that supports Shader Model 2.0++

As monogame uses DX11 (Am I right ? No Dx10 or 9, shadermodel is NOT the DX version to me, Dx11 can use lower end cards, but it still is Dx11), I think XP is out of scope for this Dx version. I don’t know if it can be installed on XP.

Yeah I think DirectX 11 looks like the bottleneck, which appears that it doesn’t work until Vista at the earliest.

Unless anyone else disputes this, I’ll have to take that as the correct answer unfortunately :frowning:

Windows 7 is the earliest version of Windows that supports DirectX 11. It may also be a .NET Framework version. I’m not sure what the highest .NET Framework version supported on XP is.