Did you know that Stride is basically MonoGame with a 3d editor?

The message I posted was the end result of all other issues.

They are xenko dll’s that failed to build, and not just one of them either.

Yes FBX SDK is installed.

Looking at the project homepage, 4 of the builds are broken. So it isn’t just me

Ah, these banners at GitHub you mean? These never worked… Don’t know why. I think a few tests cannot be executed after Xenko got open sourced. They worked only internally at Silicon Studio.

From my daily experience, the builds are fine and even our build server runs them.

Regarding your error messages, do a search on the GitHub issues or create a new one. I’m sure it’s easy to fix.

Now I see what you meant when you said Xenko was like MonoGame.

3 Likes

This:

And this:

Are the flaws in your argument.

For the debate, use what works for you.

:pray: :tea:

:smiley:

Where do you see a flaw there, my private build and the build on our TeamCity server don’t have anything to do with the official builds of Xenko.

Just a quick follow up on this, I was directed to this post on reddit that explains it in more details with code examples:

All builds are green now, btw:

Now that games for smartphones such as iPhone and Android are rapidly gaining power, a game engine that cannot be developed on a Mac is worthless.
Unfortunately, Mac are inevitable when developing games for iOS.
The reason why Unity is overwhelmingly strong is that it is great for mobile environments.
It is the exact opposite of aiming for super high image quality with an ultra high performance machine.
Most mobile game developers want more agility than higher quality.

yes i agree, that’s why Stride has a highly customizable render pipeline. you can choose whether your project is for high or low end devices via the available graphics API:

• OpenGLES 2/3
  • OpenGL
  • DirectX11
  • DirectX12
  • Vulkan

And also the feature level of the graphics API. Depending on the choices you made, the engine compiles different shaders for different builds.

yes, but with Xamarin that isn’t difficult. and they are advancing fast, so every step they make is in Stride fro free: Installing Xamarin.iOS on Windows - Xamarin | Microsoft Learn

with this you can pair a mac anywhere in the local network and develop on windows.

Ok! You have my attention.

I think you missed the point.

Xenko is now called Stride and version 4 is soon to be released: https://doc.stride3d.net/latest/en/ReleaseNotes/index.html

Stride 4.0 was just released:

I was tempted. I installed the Stride fancy installer app.

I then tried to install stride and the Visual Studio plugin.
The stride install failed after several minutes.

The ‘plugin’ install started installing Visual Studio 2019 Community.
I panicked and stopped the install and ended up having to reinstall it completely.

It shouldn’t install visual studio, i think you misunderstood. It might update or add missing features, for that the visual studio installer has to open.

But, yes, it’s never a good idea to stop an installer mid-way. I think it’s normal that you have to run it again then.

Stride has now joined the .NET foundation:

https://dotnetfoundation.org/projects/stride

We are looking for .NET developers with experience in the 3d field who can help to work on bugs and features. There is also some funding.

I my opinion, Stride has the best shader system that currently exists, this might be quite interesting to people who like to develop GPU stuff.

If if that sounds good to you, you can join our Discord or write on Github. The links are on the foundation site linked above.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was excited to stumble upon this too. Unfortunately you can’t sail a ship without a captain.
Let’s pick an example. The simplest of the features for a modern engine & editor, an LOD system, has been in talks for 5 years!?!? (LOD: Add a LOD script · Issue #39 · stride3d/stride · GitHub) :smile: WITH PRs sitting there related to this topic for 2 years. Now imagine you have a problem in PROD with your game built on this engine. No, I’m not saying MonoGame is better at this.

Well in story 1, you have zero control I guess…

In story 2, you have the option to:

And resume…

Yes, of course you can do that. In most cases though, because the PRs have been ignored for so long, merges will cause conflicts and it’s up to you to solve those conflicts, at which point I hope you’re already intimate with the inner workings of that engine :slight_smile:

But that’s not necessarily the point I was trying to make. That was just an example, and a very simple one.

As it goes with any open source project out there, you not only need a good enough traction when you marry with one, but also good stewardship. And if the people in control don’t feel like they have the passion or the time anymore, they should let the reins go and let others pick up where they left off. They should also understand that they won’t always get good quality PRs from people and it’s up to them to orchestrate getting them up to acceptable standards instead of ignoring them.

Hi guys :wave:

Does Stride support all major consoles (including Switch and PS?)