Fullscreen is not implemented !

How the hell a simple thing as fullscreen can’t be implemented in this kind of framework … I’m losing so much time on searching around internet to get simpliest information !
I can’t imagine all the stress big developers have to endure with Monogame …
Right now my feeling about Monogame is near to a saw cutting my chest.

I HAVE TO go on XNA (yes the dead one that force gamers to install sh*t to play games) if i don’t want to go insane.

Last, Monogame documentation is like someone let a bunch of pages with documentation written in a fire and say “Sorry i could save only this …”. And you say “it doesn’t matter, XNA tutorials on internet will do the work for us”. “But we don’t use the same keywords syntax so …”. Shhh". “But” “Shh”. “Sh”.

I guess you have tried something like this:

graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);
graphics.IsFullScreen = true;
2 Likes

Yes kind of. I used graphics.IsFullScreen = true;

How about calling

graphics.ApplyChanges();

?

1 Like

I don’t see how you are having trouble with something like that. I found that in 1 min when i had to search for it

//get user's primary screen size...
_ScreenWidth = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Width;
_ScreenHeight = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Height;

//make it full screen... (borderless if you want to is an option as well)
this.Window.Position = new Point(0, 0);
this.Window.IsBorderless = true;
graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = (int)_ScreenWidth;
graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = (int)_ScreenHeight;
graphics.ApplyChanges();

You have a whole game engine in your hands how hard is it to implement you own full screen ?..

In your initialize method just add

graphics.ApplyChanges();

1 Like

Ahaha, this thread made my day :smiley:

But in all seriousness, when searching for Monogame stuff, you’re often better off searching for XNA instead, as they’re almost identical in most ways.

Thank you repstyle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I tried to push the fullscreen commit to MonoGame long time ago but @Tom said test, test, test… https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/pull/3310 Who will test it ? huh ? definitly not me, because my commit is worked on my machine and I not have experience with unit tests and other creepy stuff…

I’ve been keeping an eye on that pull request for awhile now. Hoping it can get tested and merged soon! The current windowed fullscreen is usable, but I prefer to be able to set the screen to the resolution that my game is designed for, or a subset of resolutions. Toggling between actual windowed mode and windowed fullscreen mode seems complicated as well and I haven’t been able to find any concise information about how to accomplish it.

I just wanted to say thank you for your work!

@Will_Taplin Thanks :slight_smile: Have you checked out the new stuff that recently added to MonoGame (mostly because me)? You can see it here http://www.monogame.net/documentation/?page=New_Features

The original PR for this thread is now closed and I remade it here https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/pull/3494

1 Like

New features look good! Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on that PR.

@Shqrdx’s PR has now been merged.

Yes! Just tried it out and it works great! Windowed fullscreen actually works better now as well because you don’t have to manually set your backbuffer width/height to the current desktop resolution anymore. It automagically stretches up! Both modes work great as well as ToggleFullscreen(). Thanks so much!

I am not able to get this full screen mode working in Windows 10
Visual Studio 2015 and Monogame 3.4 installed from setup.
I have tested also with the latest daily build version 3.5.0.265.

I am using Emulator 10.0.1.0 WVGA e inch 512MB
graphics.GraphicsDevice.Viewport.Width, graphics.GraphicsDevice.Viewport.Height
method calls returns screen size 734x480!

I have tried combination of these rows in game constructor and in Initialize method without success.
graphics.ToggleFullScreen();
graphics.ApplyChanges();

I also tried setting IsBorderless to true but this throws notimplemented exception.
this.Window.IsBorderless = true;

Can we please change the topic name to something else than “HAHAHAHAHAH…” ?

Done. I didn’t like it either.

@Mika Did you find a solution toyour problem with Windows 10 ?
I have a related issue : if i run my game on a W10 system, fullscreen displays my game much more bigger than it should (like 4 times of its real size). So it appears like game is zoomed.
On windows 7 & 8 it’s working perfectly.

On windows 7 for me my game should run 800x600 but fullscreen is desktop’s size… Completely the opposite from you.
Maybe related to this problem too somewhere in low-level methods of MG: