Grinder - A post-amiga, silkworm-ish co-op game

OK, everyone! Thanks for your patience…! I fixed the issues introduced with my recent monogame3.5 / visualstudio2015 upgrades!

If you have had trouble with my download in the past, I expect those issues to be resolved with THIS VERSION

-I have edited the old download links, so only the newest version is available. The Newer download is SMALLER in size, about 42megs. No confusion here…

So the download is up, and I hope some of you will try or retry the demo.
-And of those who do, please share your thoughts.

If you missed it, here it is: DOWNLOAD GRINDER

Hi! I did some ‘fixing’, as indicated in my longer post above. The new download is available HERE.

I’d be happy to know how it works out for you.

I sincerely appreciate that you used a different download site, last site I had like 100kb’s second.

Downloading now, will post back afterwards.

I still have uncontrollable lag, BUT, no crashes! PROGRESS!

It still work for me, I really don’t understand why it has working before considering what you wrote about your issues ! Sounds looks like to be ok. But I hope for you such an easy on resource game doesn’t need a high-end computer to run.

Thanks for testing again, its cool that someone cares.
Glad at least it didn’t crash, +1, but still sorry about the lag you have…

There are 2 quick things to try here, without getting technical:

1. Have you tried playing the helicopter to see if that has the same lag? That would be nice for me to know. (-its less intensive in the surface-collision detection, we could see if that’s the issue.)
  2. I have actually experienced some lag on my FIRST run-through, I don’t know if some kind of anti-virus thing, or CPU-throttling or what…
    But perhaps quitting to menu, and simply restarting, or simply re-launching the game could improve performance. Worth a shot.

Otherwise, it’s hard for me to be sure about much, without getting into some very specific diagnostics and dialogue about system specs and what not… I’ll assume you have other things to do than troubleshoot some lag-issue in a demo game…
-But I will of-coarse monitor any responses from other users, and definitely try to refine the code if this is a wider issue than just one machine out of a bunch. I have a lot of code-knobs to tweak when if comes to collision detection. - Maybe I could refine some code or even cut some corners…

Thanks for testing to you too. I really appreciate any and all feedback. I am hoping for a wider range of feedback to gauge hardware requirements vs current available standard… I can change things in my code if performance is a wide issue.

Yeah, the text-reader disregarded my comma to read ‘0,9’ as ‘9’… The new text reader requires the format ‘0.9’…
-Which could be a real issue for anyone loading stuff from txt, which I used before I learned XML…
You have to go back and change all those old txt files for monogame to read them right :frowning:

I just always thought it was cool to save stuff like settings as a txt, so it was easily accessable to the user.
for manually tweaking and stuff…

You’re welcome.

Regarding text reader thing, perhaps it is because you use some kind of localized reader (as comma and dot are used to represent decimal number or money amount), you could also use type.Parse() (with float/double type) or some kind of library for config file (INI style).

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. But its impossible to pinpoint, given my total system refresh… Everything from my windows to my visual studio and my monogame was upgraded. But no matter, it is corrected now.

I tried the game and I thought it was pretty cool. It worked perfectly on my machine. (It’s a beastly laptop with an i7 and two gtx 980m, 16gb ram, probably not much help for targeting performance lags :slight_smile: )

My only real input is that maybe the controls should be listed in the settings menu.

I beat the level, I wasn’t sure what was factoring in to how many lives I had. Sometimes I had just two lives and then on some play throughs it seemed like I had more lives than that…

Awesome, thanks for your feedback!

You are right about the controls, they need to be listed somewhere. Will do for next release.

About the number of lives, it costs 1000 points to re-spawn. If you cant afford that, the game ends :slight_smile:

Hello Nullz !

You said the game had frame-rate issues, and well, I’ve completely redone the collision detection.

I have made a linked post on the subject you should check out, and there is a new download available as well.

If you decide to give it another shot, It would be great to hear how it runs now.

Hey! You were right about the controls needing to be listed in the game. So now they are :slightly_smiling:
There is a new download available with that and other changes. That and more in this threads linked subjects.

Looks nice, sadly it is offline.

There’s a link for it in this post that should still work: