Update on MonoGame's status

This is great to hear.

I’ve been working on a game using Monogame for a while in my limited spare time, hoping to get the game into Steam early access in the next six months, and released a couple games using XNA many years ago, but have been getting worried by the general lack of communication and updates/roadmap this past year and have started looking at other engines that seem to be doing better at keeping up with the times (i.e. easier multi-platform support, better 3D, better support for newer versions .NET on Mac, networking libraries that have been updated more recently than the past five years, better documentation for everything in general that doesn’t rely mainly on ‘look up the ancient XNA 4.0 docs and follow that as best you can’, etc) and have more activity on Github.

I still think for Windows 2D game development, Monogame has the cleanest and best approach of all of them for my tastes, but I’d like my game to be on as many platforms as possible, preferably without a lot of time and effort spent trying to get things to work (beyond the normal platform quirks).

I still might explore other options in the meantime for my next game (which will be a smaller scope) while this gets going, but this gives me more confidence in Monogame for the long haul. Thank you for the update.

3 Likes

Any news on the establishment of the foundation?

It will be on Terminus, well the first one anyway…

5 Likes

Huh?

Forgive me, I am being daft, in the books by Isaac Asimov, “Foundation” the first foundation is founded on the planet Terminus… Ignore me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was wondering that lol

1 Like

Forgive me, it was a very poor sci-fi joke :frowning:

1 Like

Nah I was unsure haha

that made me laugh a lot today!, we will miss Terminus now that it has been destroyed.

So coming back to what is important, still no news of Monogame foundation? I read money is waiting on the table.

5 Likes

Books are better than the show.

1 Like

I cannot remember much from the books, I read the whole series and many more Asimov’s books maybe 25 to 30 years ago? and since then I just watched the show, though from memory it looks quite different from the books, but still the show picks many different points of view different from what is told in the books but adapted to the present for streaming. Though thinking about 30000 years in the future I feel the representation of that future is not something I believe will be, knowing how AI and automation goes as of today, having still manual operators in those ships seems redundant, humans will not be at the center in the future, but we can build a better game development today with Monogame :).
I feel many of the sci-fi books from the past are very outdated now.

In any case, I hope the first Monogame foundation is set soon :slight_smile: and from that the sky is the limit.

2 Likes

I imagine its going to take a little bulit of time since they stated they’re setting it up as a non-profit foundation.

This means filing the paper work as a non-profit business and the steps that go along with it. Not sure what all that involves personally, but hopefully it doesnt take too long.

3 Likes

I assume there is still no extra news?

1 Like

I use Visual Studio for Mac 17.6.5 (build 417) and macOS Sonoma. How can I add images to Content.mgcb? It’s not opening when I right click–>Open With–>MGCB Editor.
In addition, I have tried dotnet mgcb-editor in the Terminal, but I get this error:
The application /Users/name/.nuget/packages/dotnet-mgcb-editor-mac/3.8.1.303/tools/net6.0/any/MGCB Editor.app cannot be opened for an unexpected reason, error=Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 “Launch failed.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x6000023d1e30 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=111 “Unknown error: 111” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}

Luv ya! <3