Are there any open source MonoGame projects around?

Sounds good to start out as small as possible. If it works out we can always try a larger endeavor later. I really doubt it will work without someone taking the lead if the project is any larger than a Hello World thingy, but I’ll join in if you guys want try :slightly_smiling: Maybe I’m just too skeptical :grin:

Yeah, leadership exists for a reason, thats true.
But the way this thread has been developing so far, I’m getting a feeling we could ‘community manage’ something modest and small…

We are all willing to be very flexible and not demanding, we all have enough experience to know we are serious about programming, and we are all realistic about not biting off more than we can chew, considering how spontaneous and random this gathering is…

Lets just continue developing the idea, until it eventually spouts code :slightly_smiling:

I think we should start out without extended, just vanilla framework, as it will require effort on my part to learn about GitHub and collaboration. -to begin with… I want to know about extended, but I dont know that I could juggle all these things at once… (Thats just me personally, I have a few other things going on)

Maybe we should begin by checking out the same GitHub tutorial, and get our infrastructure set up, before we plan too much… That might tell us more about our options and how to approach this

Also how we would communicate…
I dont know if thats done using github, or we need something else…
Would be cool if one of you guys know some communication methods, because I dont even have a smart-phone, and I dont know how to operate social media pages…

Maybe even do a little “what time zone are you in” introduction…
Im in GW +1, and programming has become my favorite thing over the last 3-4 years or so… I’m 30+ and a little sad no one introduced me to programming earlier :slightly_smiling:

Github + Gitter (chat) will do for communication. I think it’s a good idea to move the conversation to a chat room already actually, though we should try and get word out if we’re starting this, so everyone has a chance to join.
Getting to know Git is pretty important for this project, but you only need the basics to get started and we can definitely help out if you have any questions :slight_smile: I agree that we should start with just MG. By GW you mean GMT/UTC, right? In that case we’re in the same timezone :smiley:
I’m a 21 year old CS student and started programming when I was 17. When I hear about people that started around age 11 and stuff I always wish I discovered programming that early too. I’m not much of a gamer myself, but since I started programming I love trying to make games. I have some assignments now and then and exams of course, but in general I have plenty of free time to spare (that I usually spend programming anyway).

The first step IMHO in such project would be to set up a dedicated forum (better than a chat, and there is records of talks), like this one or using phpBB, then a github (or other) project after choosing a (code)name, and/then starting to talk about the game itself, game play and design, defining task, discussing idea, what to do and how to do it, creating and sharing some code, etc

I say lets do that! > > Go ahead and start a new dedicated thread < <, and we’ll see you there. I certainly don’t know of a better way to have permanent group communication without hassle, than these forums, there is even an internal PM-system… Besides we can always branch out to other means as the need arises.

also our avatars just spelled JIM… Feel like we dodged a bullet there.

If you don’t mind I’d like to follow this thread. Let me know when you’ve created it :slightly_smiling:

For anyone who would like to join, I have set-up a forum dedicated to a community game project alone.

Please note that, in any way, I assume a role of leader of any kind, I’m more a mere “concerned citizen”.

Talking with @Tom, it is too hard/complicated to set-up a sub forum here, so you would have to register again to another forum, sorry for that. I also think using categories (as here: windows, graphics, etc) would lead to a total mess (post mixed all together, making it very hard to know who talk about what, looking for old discussions, etc.)

Feel free to join, and admin/moderators are welcome, I’m willing to share admin account/pass with any people showing good faith and who have also some skill already (@craftworkgames ?)

Come and join me (us I hope soon) => here <= !

Why didn’t you just setup a GitHub project and used Issues for discussing stuff about the project?

Because issues on github are too limited for discussing IMHO (and they’ve not been design to fulfill this purpose anyway.)

I agree, GitHub issues are fine to me. I don’t like having to register for another forum and keeping it all in GitHub makes this easier to manage.

Hey to all of you:

So I signed up on the other forum, its fine and instantaneous… Seems like a fine “project site” to me…

But it looks like we need to use GitHub anyway, as a means of sharing code efficiently.

-Any way, I say go ahead and START the github project, and instruct the rest of us how to sign in to the project.

I dont see that it has the potential to drag us down in any way.

It is a while now and as I see, unfortunately, people talk but don’t act… as usual :older_man: (smiley set miss politician :P)

Im still lurking here, waiting for something to come along… Ive been thinking of an ant-farm 2d strategy game…

I should probably mention here.

@SoundGoddess has been working on the Open Solitaire project which is an open source MonoGame project. Pretty cool.

1 Like

Same! I didn’t like the idea of another forum and didn’t like the game idea honestly. I also have exams right now, so not much time atm.

I really like that idea :smiley:

Hi all

I really like the idea you all have here of a community project, I too am wanting to learn monogame and already made a “flappy bird” type clone from a tutorial I saw, but that was last year - not done anything for a while in monogame. :frowning:

Wow this bring back memories - are you talking about the “SimAnt” game or something else? (see links below).

As for Github - I’ve never used this - I come from a TFS background and also use Visual Studio Online for my personal code (so I can work on it in my lunch hour at work) - simply because both of these are built into Visual Studio 2015 (which is what I use) and never had the need to connect up to github, but I’m sure it’s just as easy to use with a plugin.

Maxis SimAnt (1991):

Ant Farm Simulator:

1 Like

GitHub seems to be the flavour around here. (Probably because MonoGame is hosted in GitHub, or may just be coincidence).

@monopalle

An ant farm game actually sounds really good, simple yet loads to learn inside of it. If you are up for leading it and managing the GitHub I would gladly help contribute.

So far I have sort of got a handle on menu systems (using stacks and screen/state manager), input and remapping keys. Using Render targets to handle resolution independence.

Let me know if you go ahead with this.

I think you’ll find that github is just really popular now days. As you can see by this Google Trends graph.

TFS / Visual Studio Online barely registers in comparison.

I use TFS at my day job and github at home. Once you get used to github it’s way better imho.

I’m surprised that VSO is so low - as you can have projects on there and have them private for free, where with github’s all public - e.g. I have one on VSO where I’m working on it at home AND in my lunch hour at work so VSO is ideal for me.

I pay $7 a month for unlimited private repos on github. Yes, it costs money but it’s totally worth it imho. Github is a much better experience and that’s worth paying for.