Are there any open source MonoGame projects around?

Agreed (All though I get it for free being a student :stuck_out_tongue:).

Speaking of which, if you can just simply prove to GitHub you are in enrolled in a course you can get student access (free private repos).

:slight_smile: Life is a course, does that count?

Been looking at github yesterday and do like the “openness” of it and how you can fork other peoples projects. It does have that. Maybe I’m just not used to sharing my rubbish code with people.

It is a good way to learn.

yeah, the second one was more what I had in mind, visually… They would grab pixels and carry them to the mound above to dig tunnels. But I was thinking some sort of “easy networking” multiplayer, where you dont need to worry about direct control over individual ants, or fast micro reactions… More like you tune the hive mind; set aggression level or “gather radius” etc… A bit like dungeon keeper perhaps.

So the networking: Only when a player has tweaked his hive behav. sliders, data would be sent. And only when all machines are synced do the changes take place on all machines. That way, every player runs the same simulation independently…

@monopalle Wow Dungeon Keeper - that brings back some good memories too :slightly_smiling:

Interesting idea - I’ve recently been looking at networking side of monogame using the Lidgren Library, which the DLL is actually shipped with monogame if you didn’t know. I’ve found a couple good links on how to use it:

1 Like

Nice! Does it happen to come with a way to test/debug with only one physical machine? I don’t have access to anyone who would test a game 400 times as I learn networking :slightly_smiling:

@monopalle The 2nd video above is a speed coding series and has I think 14 parts to it, you can go to the video link and in the description there is a download for the full source. The source is actually split up into 14 parts when you unzip it each part getting into more details -e,g. #1 the basics, #5 commands, 14 - the whole “game” where the server controls the players, movement and the enemies etc. I’ve not bothered watching the video as it’s too quick for me, but the code is good.

As for testing - you would test on the one machine and use the IP address of “localhost” so you run the server, and then on the same machine run the client. The first video shows a good example of this where he has the server running, and then runs the client 5 times as if it’s different players. You would create a solution in VS2015 and create 3 projects at least, 1 = client, 2 = server, 3 = shared classes - the 3rd one would contain things like “player class” etc, all this would be in one solution - you can then set the solution to run both client and server project at the same time, and just debug as normal. - Well that’s the basic understanding I have of it anyway - only been looking at it for a day or so.

I also have another link, but it’s at work and don’t have it on me, I’ll try and remember to post it tomorrow - this link is a very small console client/server - nothing to do with monogame and really shows the basics of how to use it.

1 Like

@monopalle Found the other link I mentioned -

Download the Game Network Example at the bottom of his post, it’s done a very simple client server console application (no monogame at all) and has explained each line - this should get you up and running with the basics. the console output has a little “map” section - I changed my version so the map is created on the server and sent as a “map class” to the “client” so the client doesn’t have the map.