Microphone in 3.7?

I was looking through the MonoGame source and noticed Microphone has been implemented in the 3.7 prerelease for OpenAL platforms.

I tried to fire it up on Android but the Microphone.All list was empty and Microphone.Default was null. Is there an extra setup step or is it still only half-baked?

Cheers!

Now that 3.7 is out of prerelease, thought I’d take another look at the microphone implementation.
I’m still having the same problem mentioned above: MonoGame never registers that there are any microphones on the device. Has anyone been able to get the Microphone object to work?

Cheers!

I take it back: It seems to be working on iOS, but I don’t get any microphones registered on Android.

1 Like

Stupid question [as usual] but did you grant permission to the app in privacy tabs? and did the iOS app request access?

Also, do you need to be registered as a dev for iOS to test the apps on your device? this little info is a bit hard to find… [I don’t have a Mac err MacOS thing yet… apparently there is a newer MacMini coming soon [been waiting over 4 years for it] and it looks like I might just get a MacBook Air instead after all that waiting…]

No, those are completely valid questions :slight_smile: Yeah Android won’t work without RECORD_AUDIO permission, so I made sure it has that. I’m going to write up a bug for this one, it should be working.

I am in the process of getting my iphone provisioned for proper hardware testing, but I fired my test game on the simulator and it found the microphone. It didn’t actually pick up any sound, but I’m assuming that’s a simulator problem.

1 Like

So, one must pay the seed in order to use a hardware device……. smh… and every year… per device…………………………

Or has this changed? is it one fee now or? I have no idea where to check…

And are you using the simulator on a Mac or? I am trying to learn as much about the process as possible as right now it is completely undocumented as far as I can tell…

Thanks in advance…

Sure, np… I’ve got a mac book pro with Parallels running Win10. Mac hardware is the best, windows runs better even in a virtual machine than any PC I’ve ever owned. You do need a physical mac to do iOS development though.

I do most of my development in VS on windows… VS for Mac exists, but it’s not as stable and the Nuget support is not good, so I don’t use it for personal projects. For all my MonoGame projects, the game code & content is always in a .sharedproject and I develop for WindowsDX first. It deploys fastest and is easiest to debug. Once that is up and running, create MonoGame.Android and MonoGame.iOS projects, reference the shared proj, and they are done :slight_smile:

Android phones are almost literally a dime-a-dozen, so I don’t mess with emulators (I was at Best Buy the other day and they had Android tracphones for $5). You just put the phone in developer mode, enable USB debugging, plug it in, and can start developing for android and testing on the actual hardware.

iOS is actually easier once you have everything setup. Once you have a Mac you can use the iOS simulator for free. Visual Studio for windows actually tunnels to the Mac over SSH and runs the simulator in Windows. To test on physical device requires joining their Apple Developer program, which costs a bit of money every year.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. Cheers!

1 Like

So, I was correct in my thinking that I just need any Mac as I was thinking to just use a MacBook Air as it is relatively cheap [And with the new MacMinis aimed at the high end market now, makes them not-optional] and I know the new MacBook Air models should be due anytime soon… [things are like 5 years old now] but I can emulate iPad and iPhones on them, right? and obviously for those wondering when reading this in future, you also can deploy to the Mac for MacOS development directly to the Mac/MacBook?..[ergo, do you need a dev licence to do that?]

Assuming one can use the simulator without a licence, right?

Is it still per platform? or a single fee?

[does some updated research]

Found this:

The Apple Developer Program is 99 USD per membership year or in local currency where available. For more details, see enrollment support.

Small print at the bottom of this page: Before You Enroll - Apple Developer Program

TL;DR, just read the bold words :stuck_out_tongue:

One important question from me is, Can I use a MacBook Air? [ignoring the obvious slow compilation speeds]

This post got me thinking, You should do a post about these questions lol and it can get pinned or something… or anyone with similar equipment/setups…

I appreciate your feedback on this though. :corn:

EDIT

FOUND THIS:

Do I need a Mac to develop apps for Apple platforms?
Yes. We believe developing on a Mac is key to creating the very best apps for Apple platforms. You can use any Intel-based Mac running macOS High Sierra (version 10.13) or later.

HERE:

AND TO ANSWER CONCRETELY:

Pricing
The Apple Developer Program annual fee is 99 USD and the Apple Developer Enterprise Program annual fee is 299 USD, in local currency where available. Prices may vary by region and are listed in local currency during the enrollment process.

HERE:

Just don’t understand why basic stuff is so buried…

Yeah the iOS Simulator is super easy to use… you just set the build target to Debug/iPhoneSimulator and it gives you a dropdown with every single iPhone/iPad.

Android is a bit trickier, you have to download the device image in the Android SDK Manager, then create the actual emulated device. The images & devices are both HUGE, which can cause a lot of problems on a mac with SSD (which you definitely should get for the speed increase.) SSD are a lot smaller, and you can easily completely fill it with Android junk if you don’t constantly uninstall/delete emulator files. It’s honestly easier to just accumulate a pile of android devices :wink: That would be my only concern with MacBook Air, I think the SSDs are smaller but I could be wrong. My Pro has a 512gb which is the smallest I would recommend. I’ve done this setup on a mac with 256gb and it was a constant struggle to find harddrive space :frowning:

It’s important to point out the difference between emulator and simulator too… Emulator (android) is a full-blown virtual machine, but the Simulator is just an iOS front-end that runs on the mac. For example the iOS filesystem is EXTREMELY strict, but since the simulator is just running on the mac filesystem you can get away with shenanigans that will never work on hardware device. Also I’m pretty sure the sim only does software rendering, the performance sucks on MonoGame projects especially when you start throwing lots of graphics/shaders at it.

tl;dr android emulator and iOS simulator are free and good tools for initial development, but make sure to test on as many hardware devices, as often as possible.

1 Like

You replied while I was about to add this to above:

Is there an Apple Developer Program for students? Do students receive any discounts?
While there isn’t a developer program specifically for students, learning to develop apps for Apple platforms is free to everyone. With just an Apple ID, you can access Xcode, software downloads, documentation, sample code, forums, and bug reporter, and you can test your apps on devices. In addition, if you attend an education institution that is enrolled in the iOS Developer University Program and offers iOS development classes for which you have registered, you will have access to the membership resources and benefits available to your class. If you’d like to distribute apps, you can join the Apple Developer Program.

Found here:

Android, What’s that for? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Regarding space, I solely plan to use it for compilation, so, only ever one app in testing at a time and the rest of the time, probably use it to write novels on when outside…

Main system is a SkullCanyon i7 4c/8t 32GB DDR4 2400, 1TB Samsung 960 Pro, M.2 PCIe NVMe, 48 Layer V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 2100MB/s, 440K/360K IOPS coupled with some Optane M.2 32GB [Yep, yep]

Only using for [Is it working, and Is the UI looking OK? {I have an iPad and iPhone btw}] Thinking back on this question, I realised I forgot that I have the physical devices, so err… probably just run across these, as I thought you HAD to have a dev licence to test on them, but it seems to not be an issue… but yet again, I cannot err conclude this at present without a Mac… and it seems, a MacBook Air would suffice :slight_smile:

Again, thanks, you moved the decision to [Deployment Ready Stage], so I can wait until a game is already published on Windows or ready for simultaneous release before bleeding my wallet for decades to come… though I also plan to develop apps, so whichever comes first :slight_smile: but I suppose I best wait for news on updated models, back to the waiting bench lol