Monogame and VS Community (individual) license

I’ve got a question regarding the usage of VS Community with Monogame.

From what I read, the best (or only) way to use Monogame is with Visual Studio.

The license of VS Community states that if you’re an individual developer you’re free to use for whatever purpose you want, but it is not clear to me if it forces you to upgrade to Enterprise/Profesional if your revenue is really high (such as above $1 million) – it only claims so for “Organizations” and “Enterprises”.

So is it ok for me to use VS Community as an individual without having to bother with being forced to pay for an upgraded version of VS in the future, or should I try to use some other IDE (if possible at all)

And yes, I know that earning 1 million as an individual developer is a very unrealistic scenario, but I’m wondering if there are alternatives to Visual Studio.

Ohayo… and welcome to the forum.

There are others for other platforms and Windows but VS really is in my opinion the ideal editor.

Don’t worry about the licence for VS for now, but bottom line is, when you have the money, you will want to invest in your tools regardless.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

You have a good point, maybe it’s better not to worry too much about it. If everything ends well, then it will be something very small anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having to buy Visual Studio Professional or Enterprise because you made $1 million on your indie game would be a fantastic “problem” to have! :grin:

Regarding IDEs, your easiest path forward with MonoGame is Visual Studio (for Windows or Mac) and C#.

1 Like