Problems with 3.6 Content Loading & other problems

I have been moving my project to 3.6 today. Here’s some problems I have run to so far.
I’m using Crossplatform Project, Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 Community.

1. First I had problems with FreeImage.dll, which was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling handful of Visual C++ Redistributables.

2. Dropped support for raw .PNGs. This makes mod support for custom textures a lot harder, because I don’t want to use Texture2D.FromStream. - I didn’t understand properly how it worked, my bad.

3. Another problem I noticed is that I cannot create another thread to Load Content while I show Loading Screen on my main thread. When I called Content.Load on second thread, it just got stuck, no errors or anything.

4. Game Size increased from 70MB to 170MB due to large size of .XNBs.

5. Memory Usage almost doubled, from 160MB to 300MB.

6. Hitting [X] or calling Exit doesn’t properly close the game.

That’s what the content manager did in 3.5 when you tried to load raw image assets, so why not?

You’re probably working on a DesktopGL project then? In 3.5 a second gl context was made for loading assets in a second thread. That was removed with the move from opentk to sdl. I’m not sure why. The plan is for MG to grant more control over graphics contexts in the future.

I see, my bad then.

Yeah, its DesktopGL project. I don’t understand why someone would want to remove second thread content loading, but there must be a reason for it.

I also updated the “problems list” in first post.

Are you loading then unloading content (like between menus or levels)? I noticed in 3.5 and 3.6 that when I unload content my memory usage doesn’t drop at all.

I load all Content once and never unload it, I prefer one longer Loading Screen over dozen shorter ones :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and it seems that memory usage is back to under 200MB, strange.

i got same problem too just by loading three 4096 x 4096 texture. it took me about 400mb memory usage.