Unable to create a MonoGame project using the Windows Store Template (non XAML)

Hello,

I’m attempting to create a MonoGame Windows Store Project (non-XAML version). When I select the project from within Visual Studio and attempt to create the project, the following message is displayed:

The project file …Game1.csproj cannot be opened.

There is a missing project subtype.
Subtype: ‘{BC8A1FFA-BEE3-4634-8014-F334798102B3}’ is unsupported by this installation.

I’m using VS 2017 and MonoGame Development build 3.7.0.1330.

Unsure what to do next to solve this.

Thanks,
Brett

Try dropping back to 3.6, create a project and then upgrade.

@brett
Can you try to create a new project from within vs2015 or vs2013?

EDIT
Look for the “MonoGame Windows 10 Universal Project”
(Not available in 3.6, it was added later in the develop branch).

The “MonoGame Windows Store Project” is for Windows 8, which was removed short after 3.6.
If you see that then you probably see an old template. Also the 3.6 assemblies had a bug and didn’t work with CoreApplication projects, they will freeze at start up.

I am able to create other MonoGame projects using the templates in VS2017, just not the two Windows Store variations.

MrValentine,

I reverted to 3.6 and received the same error message when trying to create a Windows Store project.

nkast,

I have VS2013 installed. I attempted to make a new project (just picked Windows 8.1 project and it worked). There isn’t an option to make a Windows Store project from VS2013, which makes sense if it is targeting Windows 10 Store. I can download VS2015 and give it a go for a Windows Store project if it would help with testing.

I’m also a bit confused on what the difference is supposed to be between a Windows Store project and a Windows 10 UWP project.

Thanks,
Brett

EDIT:

Okay, thanks nkast. I’ll just use the Windows 10 Universal Project then instead of Windows Store. I’m targeting UWP for XboxOne. Hmm, I wonder if it is default behavior to not remove the Windows Store Project Template when upgrading to a newer version of MonoGame or if that is just isolated to my computer.

You are right, there is no Win10-CoreApp template for vs2013.
Did the VS2017 template worked?

nkast,

The Windows 10 Universal Project template both with and without XAML is working for me. I was just confused by the Windows Store project templates.

Thanks for the help clearing it up for me!

-Brett

1 Like