I didn't know how to uninstall my broken Monogame correctly, so I reinstalled Ubuntu (lol). From there, I went to the monogame documentation and directly followed the instructions. I installed all the stated dependencies and then installed monogame (developer version), making sure to remember any instructions for uninstallation.
sudo apt update
and opened monodevelop, and monogame is yet to be installed as an add-in...
Since I remembered the uninstall command to be
I successfully uninstalled the dev version of monogame so I could try the regular ol' 3.5, and when I installed that, it kind of worked.
I actually got this error message of missing files:
WARNING: [MonoDevelop.AspNet,5.10] Could not load some add-in assemblies:
Could not find file "/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Helpers.dll".
ERROR: Errors found in add-in '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/MonoDevelop.AspNet.dll:
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Helpers.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Mvc.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Razor.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.Deployment.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.Razor.dll' referenced in the manifest could not be found.
WARNING: The add-in 'MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.AspNet,5.10' could not be updated because some of its dependencies are missing or not compatible:
I'm going to try to find these files in the MonoGame source on GitHub. I really need this to work.
I think I've been a little quick to jump to conclusions. I'll describe my MonoGame configuration then I will explain how I overlooked.
I've installed successfully installed MonoGame 3.5 despite the above errors (I'm not sure if they're too important, anyway). I was successful because I followed the instructions in the documentation for setting up MonoGame on Linux; I installed all of the dependencies before installing MonoGame.
I completely overlooked the text descriptions for the project templates. This entire time I've been searching for the templates respective to each individual platform (MonoGame Windows Project for Windows, etc.). I should have payed more attention to what was in the MonoGame 3.5 installation, which is a MonoGame Cross Platform Desktop Project ("for Windows, Mac, and Linux using OpenGL.").
I cannot believe I got so worked up over this when the solution was right under my nose!
I can finally resume my programming work, although, @cra0zy, I wonder where the Mobile Project Add-ins for MonoGame are. Anyways, thank you so much for your help!